HB #105 / 300 gr XTP Mag / 5744 / Public land / 7 point Buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbb

Reaction score
I hunted the Stewart State Forest on the first day of rifle deer season in NY. Only 50 Mi from NYC (as the crow flies,) as you might think it sounded like a war zone at sun-up.

1,600 acres of public land with hundreds of hunters ready to go at sunrise.

It's really well run by the Forest Service and the NYS DEC.

I have hunted small game there for years and use that time for scouting as well.

The morning of the 19th (opening day) I entered the woods only 20 min before legal sunrise, but "still hunting" is my thing (I have no tree stand) so the late entry works for me.

It took me over an hour to cover the 300 yards to the spot I had picked out. I have jumped bedded deer all along that path in the past but I saw none that morning.

I got my self situated and asked the Good Lord to send a good buck, ripe for harvest.

A half an hour later I saw some movement 40 yards out. Right where I hoped he would come from, just as all the sign said he would come from, he slowly stepped out of the heavy brush, into the woods.

I saw a glint of antlers in the golden sunlight and my heart skipped a beat.

I raised the Savage a few inches from where I had been holding it for that last half hour and scoped him out. 4 point? No, He is a nice 6 point. YES!!

Heart pounding, calm, calm, you have done this before man, calm DOWN...

My buck walks very slowly, mostly toward me, on a path that would take him 15 yards to my right.

At 30 yards he looks right at me and stops.

I put the crosshair behind his right shoulder and squeeze the accu-trigger. The Savage barks and the buck drops on the spot.

What a rush!

I opened the bolt and popped out the Fed 209a primer.

I keep my powder in 444 brass with ear plug caps so I pulled one from my pocket and poured it down the barrel.

An XTP into an MMP HPH24 and stuffed it down the barrel. Popped in a new 209a and looked across that 30 yards... No movement.

I stood up, He lifted his head. I sat down. He put his head back down.

#$^@%^&$%

Give him a few more moments. He had not made a sound, not struggled at all. 4 or 5 min felt like a very long time.

I stood up. He lifted his head and looked at me.

Well, I must do what needs to be done and the sooner the better.

As I approached, he put his head back down, looking away from me.

My God, this buck was all dignity.

The Savage barked again and it was all over.

My first shot was higher than I was trying for. I had shocked his spine.

As I stood there beside him I noticed he was a seven point buck. He was quite large but a bit thin...

The rut I figured but there turned out to be more to it than that.

The old boy was at the end of his life cycle. Such a gray muzzle and a nasty gash between his nose and eyes (from rutting action I think,) and his teeth... No uppers and only a few lowers left. This old boy would not have made it thru a bad winter.

He must have been over 200 lbs at his peak, 2 years ago I guess but was down to around 150 field dressed this year.

6 or 7 years old the ranger at the check station figured.

He may not be as good eating as my button buck of last year (doe permit, thought he was a doe ) but I am very glad I was given the opportunity to be part of the process, the way it is meant to be.

Thank you Savage

Thank you Henry

[edited to add]

Thank you Jeff

7point.jpg

7pointgash.jpg

Nice buck and really nice story. You know..It's AMAZING how much happiness a deer can give you! I can really tell you enjoyed the hunt!

Well, I must do what needs to be done and the sooner the better.

The Savage barked again and it was all over.

You know it's REALLY hard for some to admit they had to shoot an animal twice. Thanks again for your story and for being honest about your hunt!

A great story well told. I felt like I was in the woods looking over your shoulder. That is what hunting is all about. Congratulations on a great hunt.

:D

Thanks guys,

Yes, I sure did enjoy it.

Hunting allways works. It shows me who I am.

If I were to lie about some aspect of the hunt, it would still work.

It would show me I am a liar.

As it is, it showed me I need more range time shooting off hand. :oops:

The old buck is getting mounted by a local fellow, bleached skull and rack on an oak plack.

First mount for my reloading room.

Life is good.

~gbb

Back