Higher Magnification Scope Stuff

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncob

Reaction score
I'm doing a little research for a friend who is determined to get a 6.5x-20x 50MM scope for $500 or less. Here's what's under consideration:

Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20x 50mm (mil-dot) $460 delivered

Cabela's Alaskan Guide
6.5-20x 44mm (mil-dot) $400 delivered
6.5-20x 52mm (duplex) $390 delivered with Leupold rings
6-20x 40mm (duplex) Alaskan Premium Glass $380 delivered

Bushnell Elite 4200
6-24x 40mm (mil-dot) $520 delivered Rainguard is a plus This is the Cabela's price and we can probably do better.

Who makes Cabela's scopes?
Are there some other brands that we should be looking at?
Any input will be appreciated.

Best regards - Cob

Of the scopes you listed, I would only really consider the Bushnell. I do not have any experience with the Cabelas brands and honestly would look elsewhere.

If it were me, I would buy this scope and spend the extra on premium bases and rings. Albeit a 44mm objective, this scope is exceptional. I recently bought 2 of the 4x12's and am very impressed with them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=418276

Bushnell Elite 4200
6-24x 40mm (mil-dot) $520 delivered Rainguard is a plus This is the Cabela's price and we can probably do better.

This is a really good scope. I have three of them. Optics are really good. It does have some pitfalls...it is HUGE(long, almost 17 inches). This is really okay on a Savage long action but really looks out of place on a Remington 700 short action. 26 inches of windage/elevation is really in the middle of the pack. But out of those you mentioned...this is the one I had rather have.

JJ is right on track with what I'd get too. I just bought the Nikon Monarch 6-20X44. At that price it is a steal! It weighs less, is shorter(perfect for a SA), and has more w/e adjustment, 38 inches which is really good for a scope of this magnification.

I also believe that either of the above two choice would be a better choices than the Burris FF-II. I have a 6-24X44 Signature on my Savage 22-250. It's a good scope. The gold in the magnification/yardage numbers is coming off making the numbers hard to read at a glance. I also can never seem to get it completely paralex free. And at the end of the day..my eyes feel less strained with the Vari-X III or 4200..

I'm also with JJ on the Cabelas scopes. I have no idea who makes them and they are probably good scopes but they certainly aren't a bargain and are in the same price range of name brand products that have a good track record which I had much rather have...

Try here if this is what you are looking for.

Bushnell 6-24x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope

Specifications
Weight (oz): 20.2
Dot

Length (in): 16.9
Eye Relief (in): 3.3
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 18 - 6
Exit Pupil (mm): 6.7 - 1.7
MOA: 1/8
Lens Coating: Fully Multi-Coated
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Adjustable Objective Range (yds): 10 - infinity

Stock # Price Quantity
426243A $398.95

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/426 ... _scope.htm

CameraLand New York is selling their SCI and SHOT Show samples:

#89534 6-24x50 Lightseeker-30 Matte (FP) @ $479.99

Doug
212-753-5128

Please visit our website @ www.cameralandny.com <http://www.cameralandny.com/>

I have been buying from Doug for over two years, and he gives great service...jim

Thanks Chuck, Hunter Jim, Doohan, and Hawg for your input. The Nikon at $350 would be my first choice but the sale ends at midnight tonight, and I know he won't be able commit that soon. I'm going to give him a hard copy of your responses to mull over as he comes to terms with a choice.
Best regards from the cob pile.
Gregg

I've got a Bausch and Lomb 4200 Elite in 6 - 24, which is the same as the Bushnell. IMO it's a great scope. I've got it on a 22-250 and am considering selling it, WITHOUT the scope. If I do, it'll go on some else, likely a new CF rifle. The high magnification is great for range work and works great on low magnification on game. I do use it on gopher out to 200 yds, and then use the 24X.

Latest posts

Back