How did Jefferson know?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
Being a history buff, I always found Jefferson interesting as a person, his knowledge of the world was amazing.​
<div align="center">How did Jefferson know?
John F. Kennedy held a dinner in the White House for a group of the brightest minds in the nation at that time. 
He made this statement: 

"This is perhaps the assembly of the most intelligence ever to gather at one time in the White House with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."
</div>
jefferson.gif

jefferson.jpg

Especially read the last quote from 1802.

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe.  

<div align="right">Thomas Jefferson

<div align="left">The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   
</div>
Thomas Jefferson

<div align="left">It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. 
</div>
Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

<div align="left">My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.          ​
</div>
Thomas Jefferson
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.       
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.  
Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.        
Thomas Jefferson
To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.         
Thomas Jefferson
Jefferson said in 1802'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.'
Thomas Jefferson
</div>

Buck Conner said:
Being a history buff, I always found Jefferson interesting as a person, his knowledge of the world was amazing.​
<div align="center">How did Jefferson know?
John F. Kennedy held a dinner in the White House for a group of the brightest minds in the nation at that time. 
He made this statement: 

"This is perhaps the assembly of the most intelligence ever to gather at one time in the White House with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."
</div>
jefferson.gif

jefferson.jpg

Especially read the last quote from 1802.

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe.  

<div align="right">Thomas Jefferson

<div align="left">The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   
</div>
Thomas Jefferson

<div align="left">It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. 
</div>
Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

<div align="left">My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.          ​
</div>
Thomas Jefferson
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.       
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.  
Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.        
Thomas Jefferson
To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.         
Thomas Jefferson
Jefferson said in 1802'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.'
Thomas Jefferson
</div>
The quote in bold print above is my tag line.

Agreed. Our founding fathers "rule of thumb" if studied closely is amazing how so much of what was written in the early years of our country still works today. Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Thomas Payne (my favorite on business) the list just goes on. The kids today don't have a clue of how luck they are to live in such a place with forefathers that had their act together in the founding stages of the United States. God Bless all of them.

Although I agree with the philosophy of many of the quotes above, many are incorrectly attributed to Jefferson.

Spurious Quotes of Thomas Jefferson
Jefferson was very opinionated about government and firearms. He thoroughly loved and used his guns (Halsey, Ashley Jr. and John M. Snyder. "Jefferson's Beloved Guns." American Rifleman November (1969): 17-20.)

However, many quotes attributed to Jefferson on the Internet are spurious. If you go to the site: The Jefferson Monticello (https://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/bad-government-results-too-much-government-spurious-quotation) you will see a list of carefully referenced discussions of quotes incorrectly attributed to Jefferson. Also, there is a vast literature about Jefferson that supports the spurious nature of many of the quotes attributed to Jefferson.

My connection and interest: I graduated from University of Virginia and lived nearby Monticello (Jefferson’s residence) and made a hobby of reading about Jefferson.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
This exact quotation has not been found in any of the writings of Thomas Jefferson. It bears some slight resemblance to a statement he made in a letter to John Norvell of June 14, 1807: "History, in general, only informs us what bad government is." However, the quotation as it appears above can definitely be attributed to John Sharp Williams in a speech about Jefferson, which has most likely been mistaken at some point for a direct quotation of Jefferson.  (The Jefferson Monticello https://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/bad-government-results-too-much-government-spurious-quotation)
Another quotation debunked!
 "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
This displays a phenomenon which in which somehow someone commenting on Jefferson is mistaken for Jefferson himself - this seems an eggregious bit of sloppiness.
This was, in fact, Senator John Sharp Williams of Mississippi (1854-1932), in a speech given at Columbia University in 1912.  It is noted in the TJ Encyclopedia. (March 9, 2009 By Anna Berkes)

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
This "Jefferson quote" first appeared in 1986, slightly after Jefferson's death in 1826. (Walter Hickey, 2013)

"That government is best which governs least."
While the quote essentially describes Jefferson's philosophy about government, it's actually from Henry David Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience".

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Earliest appearance in print: J.S. McCrea, letter to the editor, Medicine Hat (Alberta) News, January 6, 2001.
Earliest appearance in print, attributed to Thomas Jefferson: This quotation has never been attributed to Thomas Jefferson in print media; all attributions have appeared on Internet sites.
This quotation has not been found in the writings of Thomas Jefferson.  It very often appears as part of a numbered list, often titled "Firearms Refresher Course"; most of the statements on the list are unattributed, but the list sometimes appears with the spurious Jefferson quotation "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not" at the head of the list.  This may have resulted in the erroneous attribution of other items on the list to Jefferson.  (Anna Berkes, 7/8/15)

There is a long list of references in hard copy (books and articles) supporting the statements in this posting that do not include Internet references.
Jefferson was, in my opinion, one of the most significant "Renaissance Men" of his time, expert in science, agriculture, history, and invention. He not only was brilliant, but also creative. If you think I might be a Jefferson "fanboy," then you are correct.
Ron

Oh Ron, there you go screwing everything up with the truth. Next you'll be telling us that Jefferson didn't tell Meriwether Lewis to bring him back a condor from his trip out west.  :No:

As my father-in-law said while discussing controversial topics: Don't confuse the issues with facts." :)
Ron

Thanks Ron.   There are lots of quotes falsely  attributed to the founders.  

My ancestor John Hart signed the DOI.  i corrected a newspaper article where an two star Army general; speaking at a 4th of July celebration claimed that John Harts home was destroyed, he was hounded by the Brits and forced to live in the boonies for months while his wife lay dying.  It's all made up trash.  Shame the general did not vet his information.

I'm glad you posted, Floyd. I was wondering yesterday if anything had happened to you. I'm pleased to see you're fine.

Stimulated by the signature quotes, I have added to my signature.
Ron

"Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)"  _ What about the DUCK Ron .... when you talk about Groucho you have to mention the freekin' DUC .......  :cheers:

"Say the secret word and win an extra $50. It's something found around the house." (Wiggle eyebrows while twitching cigar.)

Thats why I like to hang out with Ron and go shooting. Cause young guys should hang out with old guys cause old guys know somethin

If you ever are in the Charlottesville, VA area, I recommend that you visit Monticello, Jefferson's home. Some of his inventions are displayed.
He had the first calendar-clock. Jefferson put a cannonball on a chain and connected the chain to his clock mechanism. The ball would move down and pass marks for each day of the week. It would take 24 hours for the ball to move between days. The ball hit the floor before making it to Sunday, so a hole was cut into the floor and the ball could go through and mark Sunday.
That is only one of his developments. He also was an amateur astronomer.
Ron

RonC said:
If you ever are in the Charlottesville, VA area, I recommend that you visit Monticello, Jefferson's home. Some of his inventions are displayed.
He had the first calendar-clock. Jefferson put a cannonball on a chain and connected the chain to his clock mechanism. The ball would move down and pass marks for each day of the week. It would take 24 hours for the ball to move between days. The ball hit the floor before making it to Sunday, so a hole was cut into the floor and the ball could go through and mark Sunday.
That is only one of his developments. He also was an amateur astronomer.
Ron
Have been there many times, purchased many of their wares, just didn't like being wet with the humidity. Jefferson was an amazing person with all of his talents.

Latest posts

Back