How Many U.S. Flying Aces in WW1 had 20 or more Victories?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
Another trivia question.

We all know that the US entered WW1 late so our pilots weren't up there with Manfred von Richtofen who had 80 kills for Germany. 
So, how many US flyers managed to kill 20 or more enemy planes?

No peeking.

No one wants to guess? 
I guess there are no Red Baron fans on this forum. BTW, the Red Baron (von Richtofen) had 80 kills in WW1.

I have no idea, however there were lots of pilots so I'll guess a small percentage became quite skilled.  I'll guess 15

I fly the WW1 planes in a combat flight simulator and still have no idea what the answer is.

My sig is even a quote from Eddie Rickenbacker. Although I feel the same way.

The "Great War" started in 1914. The U.S. didn't get involved until 1917. However, several US citizens joined the fray as pilots flying for the UK or France.

Eddie Rickenbacker was the top US ace. He had 26 kills and was awarded the Medal of Honor.

So how many more US pilots had 20 kills or more?

I'm going to lower my guess since since you filled us in with that little historical tidbit.    4

Unbelievably, the US only had 2 aces with 20 or more kills. Only Belgium, New Zealand and Russia had fewer with one 20-kill ace each.

Austria-Hungary, So. Africa, Canada, Italy, and Australia all beat out the US by a good bit. Of course, Germany had the most aces with 20+ kills with 74.

I don't think they had decided what an Ace was early in the war. However, 5 kills was an Ace at the end of it.

Latest posts

Back