HUGE SLUGOS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
I have been reading about the use of Eels on stripers in saltwater, both live and imitation eels. I also caught a striper one time that had a plastic worm hook stuck in his gullet. Then add to that a guy at the lake told me he caught a large striper on a plastic worm fishing for bass. So I was thinking about trying something like an eel for a bait. Last nite I was shopping at Dicks sporting goods in Indy and found some really big (9 inch) sluggos in shad color. I bought a pack thinking I might give them a try on stripers either casting or trolling. What do you guys think, will they work?
Thanks Rman

Big Bait = Big Fish, Those larger soft plastic baits going thru the water look just like shad. Try looking in a salt water catalog for soft bait you will find greater variety and maybe a better price.

My dad and I have caught some nice stripers on plastic worms. Also caught white bass on them too. We use a worm called a french fry worm, it's about 4" long. They are great on black bass is the main reason we use them. We also catch HUGE fresh water drums on them. I'm guessing they look like shad to them. We fish in Toledo Bend Lake.

I have used rubbel eels with great success on SW stripers in the Cheasapeke. Live is best but not always available. The felmlee is the best ive found. You can order direct or most sw tackle shops carry.

http://www.felmleelures.com/default.htm

eel_group_g.jpg

What is your presentation Loggy? Do you fish them like a plastic worm? Jig em? Troll em?

Dwight, they work great trolling. You may have to add some weight if in deep water. When im in behind hydro electric plant areas(swift water) Im anchored-up & cast them. Pumpin rod while retriving every 6-8' or so seems to turn them on if things are a lil slow.

This is gettin me dreamin already!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back