Hunting in someone elses stand?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
Last night, I had to chat with the club president for a few minutes after attending a course of behavior management( I needed a Bass Ale after that one) and found some information that was a bit upsetting or disturbing.

One of the members who lives in the area hunts around the club property. The property around the club is unposted and so many people hunt on it. In fact, my Dad and I had two treestands off the side of the road that bisects the land.

This person asked if we had any treestands down the road. I said yes. He commented that a friend of his wanted to take the ladder stand( my Dad's) . He told his friend that he knows who is hunting here and that is his stand. So this person declined in stealing my Dad's stand.

The other thing that I found upsetting is that he said he hunted out of my Dad's stand. When we took them down at the end of the season, there were some cigarette butts at the bottom of the stand. We always wondered who else was here and hunting out of my Dad's stand.

I don't know about anyone else here, but unless someone allowed me to hunt out of their stand, I would never do it.To me, it is one of those unwritten rules. Sort of like, you tip your hat to a lady, it should be second nature.

Anyone else have this issue before?

My opinion

Around here it really depends on the situation. The property behind the house is hunted by three different bunches, by mutual agreement. I have had people hunt out of my ladder stands, and I have hunted out of a couple that were erected by someone else. So far there have been no hard feelings. We all have agreed NOT to smoke in the woods and NOT to leave trash laying around, so as long as that is upheld everything should be cool.

Across the state line in Alabama, a buddy and I lease some property that is exclusively for us and a couple of kids that we take hunting some times. If I were to find someone using my stands there, the authorities would be summoned and charges would be filed. Sounds hard, but we pay big $$$ for this place. I mark my stands after I leave them so that i will know.

bigbore442001 said:
I needed a Bass Ale after that one

In our woods we invite friends to join us and they often use our stands. My partner and I both have an agreement that if we are not there we can use each other's stands as we see fit. Several of my guests have harvested deer out of one of my buddies ladder stands in the last few years. If we find anyone else in our stands the CO is called on the spot. No questions asked. We spend too much time and money maintaining our property to have, in my mind, a poacher take advantage of us...

bigbore442001,
This sounds like a property ownership issue to me. If the where the stand is put up is private land and the land owner doesn't care, I don't know there is a lot you can do about it. The land owner sets the rules. If the land owner lets anybody and everybody hunt, you probably have to expect that someone might use your stand.

Stealing the stand is another matter. That is clearly illegal, but you would probably need the cooperation and testimony of he land owner to prosecute the theft. Prosecution for a stand worth a couple hundred bucks when no one saw the theft is a longshot. You would also risk making the land owner mad and posting the property as no hunting for anyone.

In Kansas, if you put up a stand on public land, the law says it is available to anyone on a first come first serve basis. If you walk in at 5:00AM and there is already someone in your stand, it is their right to hunt from it. Most interlopers can be talked out of the stand but it is their right to stay there if they want.

Easy solution here. If he won't get out of your tree stand, start you chain saw :wink: .

A guy should seek permission first, that is just common courtesy regardless of the law and any other consideration.

ste a recon camera on your hunting spot, so you can put a face on the ''unwanted guest''. Last fall , i noitced some ATV tracks around the land were i hunt. I found out that the neighbourg from behind was doing those tracks. so i told the landowner about it . He had to him not to come there again, in excuses he told that it wasn't him . he said : '' If it's not you, why is your face on suvaillance cameras around the land??'' guest what ... he never came back!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Game camera good ideal or not?

I think that is a good ideal to find out who it is, but Is there a way to turn off the flash on the camera? Because if you caint, then it may lead to your intruder stealing your camera as well as using your area.

the picture where taken during day, other wise use a cam like the one from outdoor recon...........infared :wink:

cameras

I got a picture of a guy taking a stand of mine about two years ago. I walked up the ridge one morning and went to the tree that I had been hunting out of for a couple of weeks, and my stand was gone. I hunted from the ground that morning, and about lunch I saw MY stand hanging on a tree about 1/4 mile from where I had left it. I took it off and moved it back to the original location. The next morning it was still there, and I put a lock & cable on it, along with a trail camera about 15 yards away from it. Had to work the next four days, and when I went back the stand was gone again. The camera had not been touched, but there were a dozen shots on it. I had pictures of a couple of squirrels, a set of human legs, a butthole shooting off the lock, and two stages of him removing my stand.

The culprit lived across the ridge, and we both had land-owner's permission, so I printed off a couple of pics and went visiting. I didn't play games with the guy, and he told me flat out that he thought that the stand belonged to a guy from out of town that had been told that the property was off limits. I then showed him my name that was engraved on the rail of the stand. He was very apolegetic, paid me for the lock that he had shot off, and we're friends to this day.

Although I am new to the forum, I am not new to hunting.

Here in Texas, this past season we kicked a lease member off of the lease due to hunting one of our blinds while we were not down there. They lost $1,500 and it is a bad deal all around.

It is a trust thing and I would never hunt someone else's stand unless they were there with me and insisting I did.

I hunt public land. If I see someone in it I kindly tell them that is my stand and they get down and that is all. I've been in other peoples stands on public land and when they come by I kindly get down and go somewhere else. I haven't had any angry hunter tell me off yet. So far everyone I met with is cool about it.

I have had someone in my stand and I didn't care and one time I let them hunt it...it's just a stand. I just told him let me know if you see one. We laugh and then I go somewhere else I've always thought about going when I was sitting in that stand. Just cause the stand is up, doesn't garantee that you will see a deer come there. I dunno. Maybe I'm just easy like that... :huh?:

Used to hunt public land and recently joined a club just for this reason. Most guys are pretty descent, but occasionally you run into a true "a hole". Hunting is a recreational activity and should not have that kind of stress.

I can leave my stands up, feed, and develop plots without having to run someone else off my hard work at daylight. In the club we can be sure that the folks on the lease respect other's property, and if they don't they are removed from the club. Usually guys will give permission for others to use their stands when they are not there, as long as you ask beforehand. Sometimes there is a reason they would prefer not to. That should be respected without question.

Latest posts

Back