.... I got it down and.............

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
:D

Its been a long time since I bow hunted and about 4 yrs or so since I shot me recurve. I took it down off the bow rack and dusted it off. I have a custom made HUNTER RECURVE T/D 50#'s @ 29"'s made by Bob Lee. (If your looking for a good bow that will last check out the web site).
I checked the brace height and it's still on the money along with the limb distances above and below the riser to the string. No twisted limbs or warping. String was waxed pretty good when I put it there and its still tacky. The bow has been strung all this time hanging from the string.
I started drawing the bow and it was like I never left. I don't think it will take long to get those muscles are back in shape. A little bit every day and I may hunt with it this season. ( As long as I don't pull a muscle in my back ) :( :no:

Ray............ ;)

I can't speak for everyone but my comfort zone with a recurve is under 25 yards. When I was shooting my compound I would shoot a deer at 30/35 yards providing I had the perfect shot with no wind or brush and the critter wasn't spooked. I know that isn't a lot for a wheely bow becasue I've seen hunting shows where hunters have shot deer or elk at 50 yards plus.

Ray........ ;)

I watched a show last winter where a guy ranged a muley at close to a hundred yards and then shot it with a compound! Me personally 25yd is my Max. Been shooting mine a lot the last few weeks, love to shoot the bow.......

It is kinda interesting about the vast difference of 'comfort zones' that bowhunters have. Some guys would never shoot past 20-25, while others have no problem at 2-3 times that distance.

For me it all depends how much and how far I have practiced. My first year bowhunting, I wouldn't have shot much past 35yd. Last year I practiced a ton during the summer, and that extended my comfort zone out to 50 or so. That year my brother and I practiced out to 70 yards with 40 yards probably being the shortest distance we shot a lot.

Even if you aren't going to shoot very far, I would recommend practicing at least 15-20 yards more than your comfort zone. After practicing at 60-70, 20 yards seemed like I had no chance in the world of missing a deer. One word of advice on practicing long range: if you keep missing the target then move closer. :roll:

Thats great advise for hunting. Shooting long distances at game is great providing you have mastered that distance. I find that the feeling a hunter gets from wounding a deer and loosing it is second to none. If your good out to 50/75 yards thats great IF YOUR COMFORTABLE WITH IT. When you shoot a compound bow you can put numerous sight pins on your bow and make those shots out to those distances.
I can't agree shooting a recurve that far becasue for one:
There is no left off on a recurve. Once you draw it most recurve shooters only have a few seconds to anchor and release.
There are no sights on the recurve. Its hand-eye coordination. It's instinctive shooting.
If a hunter is good out to 50/75, thats great but for me with my recurve 25 yards will do the trick.
With my bow I've taken hogs, deer and and elk. The recurve is an "up close and personal" type of weapon because you have to get close.

The reply above is my opinion and shouldn't effect anyone elses.

Ray........ ;)

good huntin' everyone :!:

Yea I would agree with you about not shooting very far with a traditional bow. And I would only take a shot at 50 yards if the animal was calm and I had a broadside-slightly quartering-away shot.
Once I saw Levi Morgan shoot a deer at over 70 yards. I am fine with him doing that cuz I know he can do it. I think he has won several world championships so there's no question about his ability. But I have watched other 'pro' bowhunters and some of those guys are horrible. I haven't watched that many bowhunting shows, but I have only ever seen one 'perfect shot'(at least what I would call perfect anyway).

Back