If it weren’t for birds…

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
… and squirrels this stand would be about the loneliest place in Minnesota. I’ve been here since 6am and not a single deer to be seen. I’m hitting a green alfalfa field for the last hour of hunting today. Just had another little snow shower. The Bald Eagles have been entertaining at the gut pile site from the other day and several large flocks of trumpeter swans have passed overhead. I’m still hoping on a brown fur coat of a couple hundred pounds and 4 legs happens by though.

Are the wolves a problem on the deer in the southern side of the state like they are up north? I was told the wolves were doing a number on them up north.

Seeing things is better than not. Most of the deer on my small area are nocturnal. Since the small Bucks started to cruse i saw only 2 during hours of light. That is not too good for me, my season opens in the morning. 34 degrees it will be, i shall be in my cargo trailer out of the wind & drinking coffee. I will have my Blk. Dia. on the stool with a sand-bag rest. I have 1 any-deer tag n 2 antler-less tags.

Are the wolves a problem on the deer in the southern side of the state like they are up north? I was told the wolves were doing a number on them up north.
Not yet but the animals are trending more southward each year. The Twin Cities are in the lower 1/3 of the state and there are several active packs nearing the northern suburbs of the Twins.

Every deer hunter wants to see deer, that's only natural! But, look at all the different things you have seen from your stand so far. I was blessed to be raised in southern Minnesota and had the good fortune to see and take some fine bucks when I Iived there, many years ago. I also remember the many times I didn't see deer when I saw other things in the woods that were so remarkable, they formed an indelible memory for me that have lasted throughout the years. If you are relatively new to the sport, I think I can understand your frustrations a little easier. Good Luck to you.

I’m in northern Minn and the wolves are out of control by way of their numbers. They have knocked our deer numbers to extremely low Levels. Not pick packs, numerous 2-3 member groups in our area. Pets let out at night are disappearing! The wolves have learned a gun shot might mean a gut pile or a cripple and they immediately show up.

Every deer hunter wants to see deer, that's only natural! But, look at all the different things you have seen from your stand so far. I was blessed to be raised in southern Minnesota and had the good fortune to see and take some fine bucks when I Iived there, many years ago. I also remember the many times I didn't see deer when I saw other things in the woods that were so remarkable, they formed an indelible memory for me that have lasted throughout the years. If you are relatively new to the sport, I think I can understand your frustrations a little easier. Good Luck to you.
I always enjoy hunting wether or not I see what I'm hunting for.

Just be thankful it it winter and you arent dealing with the skeeters
This hasn't been the warmest season I have hunted but the daytime temp spread was certain bearable with sunrises at around 30 degrees and day time highs anywhere from 38 to 50 degrees. No bugs at all. I hunted one year where the afternoon temps were warm enough to shed the shirt and hunt in a an orange t-shirt. Then we had some skeeters show up if one was on the ground.

The cap on the sidewalls of the elevated stand are 3" wide so I bring a sandwich bag filled with sunflower seed and run it all around the shooting openings for the chickadees. On Friday a huge flock of Cedar Waxwings showed up and they were brave enough to come eat with me right there but I took the orange off so they weren't so spooky. Gold Crowned Kinglets were migrating thru too and, on several occasions, I got to watch as a handful of them would rustle around in the detritus on the forest floor. Every day, like clockwork, I had a pair of Piliated Woodpeckers, make their rounds. They come thru 4 times a day and almost always were working the same trees. There were a couple of coyotes that passed by but were not in an area where I could shoot due to neighboring homes and farms. A pair of Bald Eagles certainly enjoyed the gut piles from both of my deer along with a multitude of crows. I could have done well without the crows but all in all it has been a very nice hunt.

When I am fishing or hunting and things aren't necessarily going my way, I can always find something to watch or focus on. Nature is wonderful and often makes an otherwise unproductive trip very worthwhile.

Last edited:
Tom, sitting in blinds in south Texas.

Attachments

• IMG_4998.jpeg
    IMG_4998.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5004.jpeg
    IMG_5004.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5165.jpeg
    IMG_5165.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1