Indiana Turkey Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORVAIR

Reaction score
Breeding completed?

Since the DNR moved the opening date to one week later and we have had some exceptional early warm weather, I believe most of the turkey breeding here in Indiana is completed. :(
Myself and hunting accomplice hunted from wed.-sat. all day and was able to get within 100 yards of two gobblers on two seperate occasions in a "run-n-gun" format, but could not get the turkeys to respond to any calling to close the deal. We did try two days of decoys and sit and call routine, but there was little response. All locations hunted are proven gobbler strut/breeding areas.
The gobblers we heard were with hens and would only gobble a few times in the early morning, then clam up.

Since Indiana opened a fall season for the first time last year, then moved the spring season to one week later, they may have made a pretty bone head decision there!There are already too many hunters in the public woods in the fall, so as you can see, It's not a popular decision with me. :x

:( Sorry to hear that! Our birds here have stayed henned up until the last week or two. I'm hoping that the last two weeks of season will find the gobblers still horny but most hens on the nest. Good luck!

There aren't as many birds where I am hunting. I saw more bob cats over the winter than I have ever seen ina year so I am assuming that is where they went.

Latest posts

Back