inline vs sidelock pros and cons

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The largest advantage of the inline over the traditional that I can see is ignition reliability. But let me state, even there, if you know your rifles, how to prepare them, and how to protect them during your hunt, ignition is not really a factor. Its just that most inline rifles use a 209 ignition system that does throw a lot more spark into the chamber charge, causing better ignition for the most part.

Another advantage of the inline over the traditional is ease of cleaning. Many Traditional rifles, the breech plug does not and should not be removed. There for you clean from the muzzle down. And you rely on the condition of your patches to judge how well you cleaned the bore. And a bore light of course. with an inline, you remove the breech plug, clean through the rifle, and can visually inspect how clean the rifle is.

In most cases its easier to apply a scope to an inline then a traditional rifle. And because of the development of the sabot and new and better projectiles, some inlines (as on line shooters demonstrate on the forum) can shoot some impressive distances and still make killing shots. BUT there are a few traditional shooters, some with peep sights only that are pulling off very impressive long distance kills.

When people ask me what they should get, I ask them ... what and how do you hunt? What kind of animals are you hunting? But more important, what appeals to you?

Both my fall-action and break-action MLs are weatherproof and that's not-so using sidehammers. Having inline centralized ignition ensures better distributed ignition. Plus having a removable breechplug eliminates the need for flushing the sidehammer's nipple hole and bolster drum, in a soapy solution inside a laundry tub or five gallon bucket.

I've only hunted with my sidehammer longrifle a couple times in the last 3-4 years. To me, inline ignitions are more dependable in our humid Great Lakes / Upper Midwest region.

If the State regs allow, not much beats a modern inline for hanging meat on the game pole. The inline is a faster, more reliable, ignition system in all weather conditions.

Yeah I know, the old flintlock with a roundball will bag a deer, just depends on what one wants to do.

I recently picked up a Thompson center new Englander.54 and a CVS staghorn .50 in need of a breech plug and primer nipple for $100 and I'd like to sell one to recoup my money while keeping the other for deer hunting in East Tennessee where most shots are under 75 yards. The CVA already has see through scope mounts and fiber optic sights but I'm comfortable enough with iron sights from my experience with modern firearms that it really makes no difference to me. I've only owned one other muzzleloading rifle (and a pistol from mid 1800s) and it was a traditions inline i was told was from the 70's so I'm almost totally inexperienced with these relics. What would you keep and what would you sell in a relatively dry environment like mine?

pontiacfieroguy said:
I recently picked up a Thompson center new Englander.54 and a CVS staghorn .50 in need of a breech plug and primer nipple for $100 and I'd like to sell one to recoup my money while keeping the other for deer hunting in East Tennessee where most shots are under 75 yards. The CVA already has see through scope mounts and fiber optic sights but I'm comfortable enough with iron sights from my experience with modern firearms that it really makes no difference to me. I've only owned one other muzzleloading rifle (and a pistol from mid 1800s) and it was a traditions inline i was told was from the 70's so I'm almost totally inexperienced with these relics. What would you keep and what would you sell in a relatively dry environment like mine?

Both will work fine. But if you are a short time hunter, the Staghorn would be better to keep, and the New Englander easier to sell.

Between those two I would likely keep the TC New Englander, but I doubt you will be able to get much for a used Staghorn. It's an older design that I believe CVA has discontinued. The New Englander is discontinued but it likely has more resale value than the CVA as there are people out there that are into TC sidelocks.

Honestly I would try to flip them both to get a more modern inline that can shoot BH209, even if it is just a CVA Wolf ($200) or TC Impact ($220). Either would be easier and more reliable to use.

What do you believe is a fair price for each with synthetic stocks keeping in mind the CVA needs a breech plug and primer nipple?

Also I've read conflicting information regarding the legality of people who are considered firearm disabled owning black powder guns of certain designs and the possibility that the use of a 209 primer could make it a firearm. Does anyone know for sure about Tennessee or the federal government considering muzzleloaders using 209 primers to be firearms?

pontiacfieroguy said:
Also I've read conflicting information regarding the legality of people who are considered firearm disabled owning black powder guns of certain designs and the possibility that the use of a 209 primer could make it a firearm. Does anyone know for sure about Tennessee or the federal government considering muzzleloaders using 209 primers to be firearms?

Here's my take on it - for it to be a firearm to the Federal government, it would be a serialized receiver and require a form 4473 to transfer from a dealer. Most muzzleloaders that can only fire blackpowder (or substitutes) are NOT "firearms" per the ATF. That is why most muzzleloaders can ship straight to your door.

Some states have requirements on transfer of muzzleloaders, or at least some restrictions on shipping of muzzleloaders. You'd have to check your individual state regulations.

As for a prohibited person using a ML, I would think it should be fine, since they aren't technically considered "firearms".

For anyone who watches the reality show "Life Below Zero", one of the cast, Chip Hailstone, never ever touches a firearm. This is because he was convicted of a felony, and is a prohibited person. He does occasionally hunt with a muzzleloader.

However, for anyone who is prohibited from possessing firearms I would strongly recommend consulting with an attorney to make certain possession of a muzzleloader was legal in that person's particular circumstances.

pontiacfieroguy said:
What do you believe is a fair price for each with synthetic stocks keeping in mind the CVA needs a breech plug and primer nipple?
Best way to get an idea of price is to look for comparable guns on gunbroker.com. That should get you in the ballpark.

My guess is a TC New Englander is between $150 and $250. The CVA Staghorn, probably much less than $100.

Without a doubt sell the New Englander. Lots of people enjoy shooting the older T/C sidelocks, and at the right price it would sell.

If it were me, I'd keep both and set up the inline as my primary hunter but sight in the T/C as a backup. Also, should you ever have a chance to hunt out of state, I believe the T/C with iron sights would be 50 state legal.

SteveH said:
pontiacfieroguy said:
Best way to get an idea of price is to look for comparable guns on gunbroker.com. That should get you in the ballpark.

My guess is a TC New Englander is between $150 and $250. The CVA Staghorn, probably much less than $100.

Good advice here.

I don't need another muzzleloader right now, but if I walked into a gun store and saw a T/C New Englander sitting on the shelf in good condition with a $150 price tag, it would most likely follow me home.

You'd have to practically give me the Staghorn.

I have collected a few sidelock rifles over the years. Most are equipped with 32' roundball barrels and open sights. I love these guns and for years that's all I ever used for deer hunting. However, several years ago, I found out that my aging eyes could not focus on the rear sight, front sight and target at the same time, especially in low light. I tried a couple of peep sights but never really liked them. I went to a scoped inline solely so I could see better when hunting. Over the last 3 years, I have really come to appreciate the increased range offered by the ilnines and have adjusted the way I hunt to take advantage of that by taking stands on field edges where I can shoot 200 yds, if needed, something that I said I would never do years ago. I still use the sidelocks occasionally, mostly during our late firearm season which is antlerless only, and hunt then by still hunting and stalking in thicker cover where the scoped inline would be a disadvantage.

Tannhauser said:
I don't need another muzzleloader right now, but if I walked into a gun store and saw a T/C New Englander sitting on the shelf in good condition with a $150 price tag, it would most likely follow me home.

You'd have to practically give me the Staghorn.
I believe I will follow the advice of everyone here and sell the new Englander so if you want it for $150 plus whatever it costs to ship it in your preferred method its yours plus I'll throw in a box of 230gr .54 cal round ball.

Back