Isaac Haines 1770 Lancaster Longrifle parts set

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
Build <a href='/tags/3' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #3'>#3</a> an Isaac Haines with "iron furniture" from Track of the Wolf,  in .54cal.  I do have, in my hands, the iron furniture for the Isaac Haines so I have plenty of work for now......sanding/polishing.  Prepping the hardware is so tedious. 

I "may" try my hand at some stock carving, which I've never done as of yet.  I'll have a chance to practice on some scrap wood before the rifle components arrive.  That should put me to the test. 

I'll follow up with pics on my progress.

Good luck! Looking forward to both builds, along with tons of pictures.

Started cleaning up the iron furniture on my .54 cal Isaac Haines build.  The filing and sanding process is slow and tedious but will be worth it in the end. I got the barrel back with the sights and under lugs all milled in. 

I'm going to try putting a patina on the iron rather than a rust blue or brown.  I seen some of the rifles on the Kibler sight and I think they look really good.  The solution is called Brass Tarnishing Solution by Historic Houseparts.

aLKLm5.jpg

qinFnC.jpg

b99K7t.jpg

patocazador said:
Does that stuff work on iron as well as brass?
The following pic is from Kibler's web site to show how it works on iron.  I'm going to try it out. I'll post pics to let you know how it turns out some time in the future.
Q0LCcE.jpg

oVq5a5.jpg

Wow is right. Thats a great looking finish. I'm typically a LMF browning type of guy but those pictures have me seriously considering a change in barrel finish for the Pennsylvania that I am currently redoing. Really looking forward to some pictures of your build.

okin' Joe said:
patocazador said:
Does that stuff work on iron as well as brass?
The following pic is from Kibler's web site to show how it works on iron.  I'm going to try it out. I'll post pics to let you know how it turns out some time in the future.
Q0LCcE.jpg
Years ago (2005 to be correct) we were using Clorox Bleach and Birchwood Casey's cold bluing to get this modeled look. Had a dozen items to apply the treatment to, takes a while with first apply the bluing waiting for it to dry then the bleach. I have a brain fart and decide to speed the process up. I tell my friend lets just mix the two and let them dry together.

That was the biggest mistake I think we have ever done (I'm sure there are others that don't come to mind at this time).  

WARNING DO NOT EVER DO THIS OR YOU WILL DIE
This was what my doctors told me after the fact. When we mixed the two items a pale green vapor came up before we could run, it put both of us on the concrete, couldn't breath. Managed to crawl outside of the garage, once I could breath I ran around the house went inside and put a wet bath towel at the garage door to stop anything coming in, told everyone do not open the door I have a problem - stay out. Went back around to the garage with a wet towel over my mouth and nose, garbed the can with this mix took it out side and put it in the trash can. Went inside one more time and turned on a 36 inch floor fan and vented the garage. The two of us survived the experience and later were told we are the luckiest guys alive and how bad that gas will eat your lungs up. Since that time 13 years ago neither one of us can taste or smell anything, that mix really screwed us up.

Still have a few guns with this modeled finish, love it but now have lost my will to do any more mixes.

Smokin' just ordered your finish product, want to give it a try, beats hell out of our last experience with aging metal.  :thumbs up:

I haven't tried it yet myself.  I want to tarnish all metal in a similar timeframe so I get them looking the same.   

I'm going to try it on the "brass" furniture on my .54 cal Investarm Hawken similar to what Jon did and see it how it turns out.  The brass has a slight patina on it so I was wondering if I needed to do anything for prep with the exception of deep cleaning any oil, or finish on them?

After doing some searching, this product is made by Birchwood Labs. Same birchwood casey brass black that i use.

Isaac Haines .54 cal - build <a href='/tags/3' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #3'>#3</a> Stock came in from Track of the Wolf today.  So now the elbow grease begins. Lots and lots of shaping / inletting to do.  Should be a fun project.  Still waiting on my Jim Chambers Large Deluxe Siler Flintlock.  

BuC3H6.jpg

Well my parts set have been sitting for quite some time now so I thought I better get after it. Progress will be slow but I'm going to try to do some inletting each day or so.  I'll post as I go.

qfPMOj.jpg

Joe how do you like your round mallet, can you tap on a tool with it not rolling on you?  Have thought about getting one but have drug my feet until I could ask the question of someone having used them.

Before I got the round mallet I was using a rubber hammer and thought it worked just fine.  When I went to my gun building class I got the opportunity to use a round mallet.  It was way better!  As soon as I got home I ordered a round mallet.  It "never" rolls on you.  You have great control, of course, you are only lightly tapping with it.  As you know, most inletting is fine detail work.

Thanks for the information, was going to order one years ago but needed to ask the question to someone I trust for their opinion. Having seen your skills on other guns and what you think has now made my mind up, will call Brownells this morning, again thank you Joe.

Latest posts

Back