JB borepaste

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter

Reaction score
Does anyone use this before shooting thier new rifle? I shot my Elite a few times and then remembered I had it on hand. After I used it on a clean bore I was very happy with the results. The sabots loaded easier/smoother and my groups actually tightened just a bit.
Curious if anybody else used this method of break in on thier rifle?

I used it on a stainless Omega that was a bear to load. After 200 passes of JB the loading was a lot easier.

I did try some and it got everything out of the barrel. Plastic, lead, copper, powder fouling, etc...
I cant remember if it it the stuff with the grit in it. If so just be carefull not to use it too often. It can and may damage the bore with excessive use. Again I don't recall if it was the stuff with the grit in it.
Frank

Yes - it has grit in it, but it's finer than valve grinding compound, if you've ever handled that.
I have a buddy who was having trouble getting Hornady bullets/sabots down his Knight MK 85 and after using JB's a couple of times (different cleaning sessions), they were sliding down again.

JB is good for smoothing rough barrels. It does take metal out of it. I'd be careful using it. When you take metal out of the barrel, it can't be replaced. If your barrel is smooth and the bullet/sabot combo are tight, maybe try a different sabot.

About every six months I will take the rifles I shoot most, and give them a good scrub with J-B Bore Paste. It will remove anything in the barrel such as plastic, copper, or lead residue. It works good and helps to smooth out oa barrel.

Back