Kansas to get full power Scopes Also!!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lane

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
The following is an email I received after inquiring about scopes for muzzys in Kansas.

"Allowing scopes on muzzleloaders for the upcoming deer season in 2008 is being considered and probably will pass. Please check our website for changes."

Marilyn Alberg
KS Dept. of Wildlife & Parks
L.E. Division
512 SE 25th Ave.
Pratt, KS 67124

YEA!!! :D 8)

What a "Kansas" deer tag will cost you...why not use scopes.

Chocdog

KS Scoped Muzzleloader Proposals

You can not use smokeless powder in KS for ML's. And currently you can use a scope on your ML during the rifle season, which is where it belongs.

And I wouldn't get your hopes too high, as there are several organizations that are opposed against scopes including the Outfitter's Association and are going to fight the proposal pretty hard.

I would guess the best that will happen would be 1X Scopes (no magnification) only as the only reason KDWP has proposed it anyway are because of primitive weopon hunters that claim they can't see thier iron sights anymore with thier ailing eyesight.

Re: KS Scoped Muzzleloader Proposals

Great first post, sounds like your not a fan of modern muzzleloading, the use of scopes would save many deer from being wounded each year, they should be allowed.

SEK Archer said:
You can not use smokeless powder in KS for ML's. And currently you can use a scope on your ML during the rifle season, which is where it belongs.

And I wouldn't get your hopes too high, as there are several organizations that are opposed against scopes including the Outfitter's Association and are going to fight the proposal pretty hard.

I would guess the best that will happen would be 1X Scopes (no magnification) only as the only reason KDWP has proposed it anyway are because of primitive weopon hunters that claim they can't see thier iron sights anymore with thier ailing eyesight.

:D Well this OLD hunter does HOPE they allow full power scopes so that I can see the deer clearly for a good clean kill, I love to hunt muzzleloader season but these old eyes are not as good as when I was 35 or even 55 years old. That is why during the regular rifle season I use a 50 cal Encore with a nice scope in place of my sidelock or underhammer. :D

Scopes

Acutally I am a fan of inline muzzleloaders. I have an Encore Pro Hunter myself. And if they want to allow non-magnifying scopes, so it will help the eye sight of some, I would agree with that, but the issue will be with regulating it.

The intention of the Muzzleloading season was as a primitive weopons only season. But we the hunters are never satisfied, and are always wanting more. We don't want scopes to minimize the number of wounded animals becuase of poor eye sight, we are just wanting to extend the effective range of the weopon in the early season. If you want to shoot 250 yds, KS has a rifle season in which they allow scopes on muzzleloaders.

The traditional hunters in KS like the season where it is at, but's it's the commercialization of the deer that is driving this proposal, not the true muzzpleloader traditionals.

I had a good laugh on the wounded deer reasoning. We as hunters should be responsible enough in our decisions that if we can't see the deer clear enough, don't shoot. Putting the scope on the muzzleloader, will only entice us to take a longer shot than most of us should. It's the poor decision of us hunters that wound animals, not the capability of the weopon.

SEK Archer

Referring to the statement below. Wow, if it were truly primitive ML season you would be using a lit wick to ignite your charge. In addition if you look at history of ML you will see that magnification (scopes) have been around for a while. And taking longer shots , what is your definition of the various iron sighting mechanisms ? Is there only one that is considered traditional or legal? Your statement of wounding deer I will turn back on traditional w/ some inefficiencies in the shooting technolgy. Rolling Block technology has been around some time as well.
This is a non ending fight and I get somewhat peevd w/ 'Traditionalists' attitudes towards inlines and modern technology hunting as well as the misqoutes attached by them.
Sorry, just trying to get inline hunting opportiunitites is hard,let alone being snubbed by CF, the musket hunters, bow vs. Crossbow vs. recurve vs. stick That is another set to). We should be battling anti;s instead of trying to nail our hunting brothers and limiting opportunbitites.

The intention of the Muzzleloading season was as a primitive weopons only season. But we the hunters are never satisfied, and are always wanting more. We don't want scopes to minimize the number of wounded animals becuase of poor eye sight, we are just wanting to extend the effective range of the weopon in the early season. If you want to shoot 250 yds, KS has a rifle season in which they allow scopes on muzzleloaders.

The traditional hunters in KS like the season where it is at, but's it's the commercialization of the deer that is driving this proposal, not the true muzzpleloader traditionals.

Traditionalist

I sure love a good debate.

I believe anybody should be able to hunt with the weopon of thier choice. If your a purist, then hunt with your flintlock, if you like scopes on your inline, go for it. I choose a compound bow during archery season, and that is my choice, but I don't harp on the stick bows.

All I'm saying is, KS has a season to accomadate the weopon setup of your choice. But unfortuantely, there are those that just aren't satisfied with the rules as they are.

September is too early, so let's move it into October. Can't take advantage of my 250 yd inline shooting with iron sights, so let's allow scopes.

BUT the biggest problem I have with this discussion so far is the statement that ineffeciencies of the weopon allows for more wounding of the animals. That thinking right there explains why we have such a big battle with the Anti's. It's because we as hunters are not responsible enough in our decisions as to when to pull the trigger, or to release the bow string.

Please hunt with the tools that we love, but be responsible enough to understand our tools, and take the ethical shots based on our tools capabilities.

Re: Scopes

I'm telling you that I can make a more precise shoot with a scope than without, thus eliminating a possible marginal hit and not recovering that deer, what's so laughable about that.

SEK Archer said:
Acutally I am a fan of inline muzzleloaders. I have an Encore Pro Hunter myself. And if they want to allow non-magnifying scopes, so it will help the eye sight of some, I would agree with that, but the issue will be with regulating it.

I had a good laugh on the wounded deer reasoning. We as hunters should be responsible enough in our decisions that if we can't see the deer clear enough, don't shoot. Putting the scope on the muzzleloader, will only entice us to take a longer shot than most of us should. It's the poor decision of us hunters that wound animals, not the capability of the weopon.

Don't sweat it Bluegrass. IMO you are correct.

SEK Archer is just voicing an opinion.

There are just 12 states remaining that do not allow powered scopes for Muzzy season. It will all be over in a year or two.

And maybe then we can stop beating our selves up, and start building each other up.

Ethics is all about the person. NOT the hunting weapon.

lane said:
Ethics is all about the person. NOT the hunting weapon.

that is the best quote so far on this debate! you either have em or you don't!! as for my opinion on scopes i have mixed fealings- i am fine with just using iron sights for the ml season because thats all i've ever known, i grew up(and still do) most of my hunting in shotgun only zones. but i do love my omega with the scope on it and would not mind useing that combo during the ml season. but i think we had all better put our differances aside and worry about standing up to the anti's not each other. as i am more worried about our future rights as a group than i am the ability to use a scope.

Latest posts

Back