Knight MK 95 Help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received a Knight MK 95. It looks like the bolt has been converted to #11 cap only. I noticed that it has a slot in the receiver to have a bolt handle? Does any one know what the original configuration looked like? Does any one have the Original bolt and breech plug available for sale? Some dimensions to make one, I have a lathe and mill. The bore is immaculate and in 54 cal.

The MK-95 had 2 different ignition systems for it. The #11 cap ignition (that sounds like you have), and the Posifire ignition. The Posifire came with a shorter plunger, bolt, Ball detent, and breech plug. The Posifire allowed you to use Speer 38spl Plastic Training cases with Large Rifle Mag primers. They did not always ship both with the rifle and some may not have gone to the trouble to get it. My First one had a card in the box that told me to call Knight, then they shipped the posifire separately. Lots of MK-95s sold seem to have only one or the other ignition system for it. IF you want the Posifire, you'll just have to scour the internet and be patient trying to find one, I don't know of any source to get one. Knight don't have them anymore and there is nothing you can use to convert it. With the #11 ignition you now have, it is basically the same thing as the MK-85 and will shoot just fine that way. Below is a pic of both ignitions.

#11 top and Posifire below.MK-95 #11 ignition parts.JPGDSCF0398.JPG

It's the same tool as the one used for the MK-85, slotted plug. Male Slot on one end and has a smaller female slot on the other for the nipple. The one that shipped with rifles was about 6" long.
This is the 9 1/2" that was later made for scoped rifles. They might be a tad hard to find. Some guys have used a die grinder to cut a socket so that it has 2 tabs that fit into the slots. I never got around to making one myself. You might use something like 7/32 Open end ignition wrench to remove the nipple. You can also take a Large shank screw driver, cut the end so you have a slot in it just large enough to remove the nipple. If you could locate a hex head plug that is 11/16 in diameter I would swap it out to you could use a socket.

DSCF1473.JPG

The MK-95 had 2 different ignition systems for it. The #11 cap ignition (that sounds like you have), and the Posifire ignition. The Posifire came with a shorter plunger, bolt, Ball detent, and breech plug. The Posifire allowed you to use Speer 38spl Plastic Training cases with Large Rifle Mag primers. They did not always ship both with the rifle and some may not have gone to the trouble to get it. My First one had a card in the box that told me to call Knight, then they shipped the posifire separately. Lots of MK-95s sold seem to have only one or the other ignition system for it. IF you want the Posifire, you'll just have to scour the internet and be patient trying to find one, I don't know of any source to get one. Knight don't have them anymore and there is nothing you can use to convert it. With the #11 ignition you now have, it is basically the same thing as the MK-85 and will shoot just fine that way. Below is a pic of both ignitions.

#11 top and Posifire below.View attachment 16987View attachment 16988

that cool a 38spl ignition system.

I wonder if that where the FPJ set up came from.

Actually the Red FPJ came After the Orange Disk, but yea I think this was their first go at a plastic primer holder. The MK-95 was discontinued at the end of 1997 after only 2 years of production and the DISC Rifle (Original with orange disk) was released. At the moment the Speer cases are hard to find like everything else. ☹

My MK-95 Brothers with the Posifire ignition in them. Black stock is the .50cal and the Camo is the .54cal. I also have another 50cal too.

The Brothers.jpg

Can you use a brass case? I have a bunch of once fired 38 brass.
You can, but its a LOT of work to they them to work pretty good. First the Brass 38spl case has to be cut down and then if you still want the Large rifle primer you need to mill out the pocket from small Pistol to large rifle. The brass case don't seal in the plug so you will get blow back, if using BH. You can get them to seal better but it really gets involved as you need to make each case fit individually, so it seals on the mouth of the case to the bottom of the pocket. The Speer case seals on the sides. I did it once and found it was just too much trouble to get a good seal using BH. IF I were going to do that again I would switch to T7 or Pyrodex instead. The big issue (with blow back using the brass case) is your fighting with the original MK-95 Posifire Breech plugs Flash hole size. It started at about .037 or .038. With the large rifle primers it really never grows though. That's burned out for the Ventliners. This plug can't be converted to Ventliners, the way its made there is no room of it. Whole new plug would need to be made. I had thought once about making up some "Modules" to hold primers, similar to Hankins or ASG but with the same diameter lip that 38spl has, and then make up a new Breech plug. I don't have a lathe and just decided to drop the idea The other issue is that you can't really "Cam" down on a primer or case with the Posifire bolt as it is not sturdy enough for that, like a bolt on the DISC based bolt actions. That little bolt handle screws into the bolt body and is a weak link. I have broke a lot of bolt handles trying and since you can't get them, I had to get replacements made for mine. At the moment the 2 guys on here that have been asking about MK-95's have the #11 ignition so they can use the rifles without the cases since they are hard to get. Back when these were first made it was great rifle in that if you got both ignitions you could use the rifle Anywhere in the US.

Shawn sorry to bother again with a question but... I got my MK95 and went through it. I noticed a small detent ball on the bottom of the action. I assume this is for the posi-fire ignition. Is this necessary for the #11 cap ignition? I had to remove the trigger to pull the breech plug. Is this normal? There appears to be a screw missing from the end of the plunger that keeps the secondary safety from unscrewing all the way off. Do you have a picture? Other than that the rifle is beautiful. I did find some small pitts about 2" from the breech plug which should not affect accuracy. Do you have any favorite 54 cal loads for your rifle?

Shawn sorry to bother again with a question but... I got my MK95 and went through it. I noticed a small detent ball on the bottom of the action. I assume this is for the posi-fire ignition. Is this necessary for the #11 cap ignition? I had to remove the trigger to pull the breech plug. Is this normal? There appears to be a screw missing from the end of the plunger that keeps the secondary safety from unscrewing all the way off. Do you have a picture? Other than that the rifle is beautiful. I did find some small pitts about 2" from the breech plug which should not affect accuracy. Do you have any favorite 54 cal loads for your rifle?
No Problem ask away.

Yes the Ball Detent is for the posi-fire ignition. Locks the small bolt in either open of closed position. It is not used for #11.
Removing the trigger to remove the BP is normal.
The MK-95 (And 85's) had a small knurled Thumbscrew in the end to retain the secondary safety. You can use about any screw that will fit. Its possible to find a replacement thumbscrew at a hardware

Those pits should not be of a concern for accuracy, just make sure you clean good after firing and put a good oil in after cleaning. My second 50cal MK-95 has a ring of them about 1/4 inch or so in front of the PB. Still shot great.

95 to 100 grains of Pyrodex RS (or select) or 777 with a .500 325 Grain Speer Unicore or my .500 336gn lead bullet made for sabots. I also have a large bulk box (I think 500) of the old Rainier .500 336gn HP, Shame they went out of business. All in a Purple MMP Sabot. CCI Large Rifle Mag primer. I've never shot Conicals.

#11 MK-95 hammer with thumscrew removed. My normal hardware source did not have one with the 9/16 dia head that these use. Threads ate 8x32 and 3/8" long threaded part
DSCF1475.JPG

I could not find a Thumbscrew with the large head. 1/2" in diameter would work.

I did find this Ultra Large Truss head that should work. You could also use any style 8x32 x 3/8" screw with a washer.

https://www.mcmaster.com/90015A305

With the #11 cap ignition, could that be changed to the 209 primer ignition system with the red plastic jackets??

With the #11 cap ignition, could that be changed to the 209 primer ignition system with the red plastic jackets??
It currently has the system to use the Speer 38 plastic training cartridges but I am missing the handle that pulls the stricker back and I have number 11 caps for my mk 85

Interesting. I’m definitely no expert but I would think you could remove the breech plug and plunger and replace it with the knight 209 primer upgrade but you would have to start using the red plastic jackets

Latest posts

Back