Kowa spotting scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Got a question for you guys. Anybody have or have used a Kowa spotting scope? When I shot on the rifle team we had the old steel body Unertels ( I can never spell that right :? ) and they were fair, really depended on which one you got because they had been used and abused over the years by rifle team shooters,rifle coachs, and snipers. I would not doubt that some had seen use in Vietnam. I went through several before I got a real good one that allowed me to see .30 cal holes at 300yds on a good light condition day. Anyway back then most of the civilian High- Power shooters that had been in the game for any length of time were using Kowas. I don't recall ever looking through one though. I am still in the market for a good used spotting scope and was just wondering how the Kowa measures up. I would be using it primarily at the range, but it might make a trip or two to the field. Thanks in advance for your comments,
Rifleman

Rifleman said:
Got a question for you guys. Anybody have or have used a Kowa spotting scope?
Don't have one :( However, a buddy had one and it was great! :D I don't remember the model, but it was big. At 180 yards, we had no problem seeing 22 caliber holes in the shade. I believe someone makes a bracket that will mount two of the side by side for a super grande set of binocs.
Take care, have fun....
Roger D. in Southern Indiana

Rifleman,
I have Kowa 60mm Angled Spotting Scope with 20-60x Zoom Eyepiece.
You can see picture of it here (Nugbuk's Ugly Guns minus the Ramrod):
http://modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=873
It?s light, waterproof and I can see holes on 300 yard target from 22 caliber (.223) my son shoots on NRA matches. Reasonable priced scope. I think best advertising for that scope is that almost 80% of shooters in high power rifle matches use Kowa (it least at our club). Bird watchers also like Kowa.
If you only going to use it for target shooting I would recommend 82mm objective. I got mine smaller so I can take it on the hunting trips.

Back