KP1

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint head

Reaction score
PICT0401.jpg

OK boys, I went and picked here up this morning. I'll give you my simple redneck feelings about this gun as I am not nearly as technicaly gifted as most of ya'll. This is a heck of a well made, well thoughout gun. Everything is very tight and the moving parts opperate smoothly. I took the gun down and cleaned it from head to toe... the take down process could not have been easier (UC, I did cheat a little by watching Branch take the trigger group out on youtube,,, When you get it almost in, cock the hammer and it falls in place easy as can be) My muzzleloading barrel works perfectly with the red discs... it closes as easy as the .30-06 barrel with a round in so I'm pleased about that. I also set the hammer safety to "S" with a 209 disc in place and fired it twice with no fireing pin mark what so ever.

PICT0402.jpg

Now for the dislikes... this is a camo model and there are several cracks in the camo coating and one chip knocked out near the reciever. The forearms need a little sand paper work to pass the dollar bill test all the way to the lugs. When my rings come I'll give a full range report on both barrels... So far I love it! :D

Would you post a pic of that FPJ breech without the red jacket in place? Same picture as you have above but leave out the jacket?

I ask for that because your extractor looks different than mine. Yours might even work. :wink:

a picture of mine as it was when it came out of the box

fw24w0.jpg

oh, another question... is your fpj breech plug domed or cupped? Mine is cupped which would be a plus for the new powder.

PICT0403.jpg

Here ya go UC... It looks like the two extractors for the disc are totaly different. As I said my gun shuts nice and smooth with the disc in place. The breech pug for the disc is the old concave model so it should work fine with BH209. I need your help though, how do i go about sending my gun back to Knight? The camo was cracked and chipped in the fitting process to the reciever is what it looks like to me. I tried to fiqure out how the stock is attached but it looks like a factory only application... I hate like the devil to send my two day old unshot rifle back to the factory but my extreme case of OCD will not let me deal with those big chips in the finish. :lol:
PICT0404.jpg

Also, and mind you I'm no gun tech, but after inspecting the bore of the 06 I found what looks like a gouge between the lands. It's at the same radius as the lands... I don't no if it would affect accuarcy but by the looks of it, it could be a machineing error.

Then I hope I get mine back with the new extractor system. Does your extractor hang in the forward position? Mine does about 3/4 of the time.

You could start the return process by emailing Jeff Dinwiddie [email protected] or by contacting Michelle at 256-260-8950 ext 2217. I would go the Michelle route as she is in Alabama (Jeff is in Iowa) and is the one that can truly get the ball rolling for you.

As to removing the buttstock - I've not confirmed but I believe you would need to remove the recoil pad to get at the retaining bolt. If mine hasn't improved, so far as blowback, upon its return - I will become acquanted with buttstock removal.

4ggio7.jpg

take note of that small cross-bar the arrow points to... it's part of the extractor assembly and, if you have the extractor removed while cleaning, can easily be inadvertently pushed out. The rod section of the extractor fits through it and continues on through a spring. There is also a small ball-bearing at the forward end of that spring. Mine fell out while I was cleaning and it was only by chance that I spotted that little ball as I looked for the spring. You might want to photo record the arrangement of those pieces.

The extractor doesn't hang, but as noted it really does no extracting... neither does the .30-06 extractor. The only difference is the 06 case has a rim to grab on to. I don't want to sound completely negative about this gun because I really like it,,, I've had three Encores and this gun is every bit as nice as those and in some ways better. Even the decocking lever kind of turns me on... you can never be too safe. But I am upset about the camo finish... thanks for the info UC and I'll look behind the recoil pad.

The extractor doesn't extract at all? Do you mean that is does not move forward with closure and aft on opening?

And I have to disagree with your opinion of the decocking "safety" (even though both ours now apparently work properly). It's overkill and totally unnecessary. Additional expense too. The greatest mistake would be to rely upon it at all.

Oh yeah it moves fine and I guess it does "extract" the disc off the nipple but it's a little bothersome to remove the disc from the extractor... If I had just shot over the back of a nice buck and he was still standing in the same spot, I would have some trouble getting that thing out for a reload. By the way, the retaining bolt is behind the pad but It's going to take a tool that I don't have to remove it... a long extention with an allen wrench on the end.

The de-cocking safety, the extractor along with its cutout and associated hardware, and the FPJ are going to disappear from the KP1 in the future. That will be a tremendous improvement, IMHO.

The hammer throw will be shorter and faster.

Underclocked said:
The de-cocking safety, the extractor along with its cutout and associated hardware, and the FPJ are going to disappear from the KP1 in the future. That will be a tremendous improvement, IMHO.

The hammer throw will be shorter and faster.

How do you know that UC??? I am still waiting to see if I need a KP1 to go with the KRB7, hopefully one of the Knights will handle BH209. Need to understand how long I need to wait for Knight to make the changes you mentioned.

Keith, check PM.

No time-frame was given.

My rifle's first trip back to Knight resulted in my rifle coming back with the shorter hammer throw. I didn't and don't like it since there was no corresponding correction made in hammer travel. In other words, I would pull the hammer completely back then allow it to go back forward about half that distance to catch the sear. I didn't like that at all but I believe they will eventually correct that extra travel.

The magnet in my non-FPJ plug had broken and was contributing to the blowback problem. That magnet is also being revised in some way. I believe my rifle will return from Knight this time with a trigger/hammer more to my liking as well as the newer non-fpj breech plug.

The de-cocking safety has proven to be more a source of confusion, offsetting any positives it might have offered. The FPJ system is clumsy and awkward - it will be eliminated but for a time the rifle will simply come with the magnetic plug installed, with the FPJ still included. After a certain amount of time (probably when current inventory of that plug is gone) it will be abandoned and the extractor cutout eliminated.

The design is evolving. I have no knowledge of when that evolution will be complete.

Latest posts

Back