L&R Locks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Lyman Deerstalker in a a flintlock. I was thinking for no particular reason to upgrade the lock to L&R and was wondering if it's worth it? For those who may be interested they are in the process of making one for the Deerstalker for us Left Hand Shooters. They expect to have it available in a month or two. At this time I don't know what they will be charging for it.

imho, and having owned at least 4 or 5 investarms or lyman sidelock rifles (all lymans are investarms), i see no clear and viable reason to spend near $200 for an L&R RPL lock. the main difference 'tween the L&R RPL and the investarms locks will be the mainspring - it's a coil for the investarms and a flat spring for the L&R (and all the rest of the trad replica locks). some will even argue that the investarms coil spring is better and faster than the flat spring - i kinda think along those lines, too. better to be more critical of the hammer steel (frizzen) and maybe invest in a tin of cherry red and a propane torch to surface reharden it when the time comes ... it's all about that hammer steel spark, for the most part. all the investarms i currently own or have had require the hammer steel face polished (coarse to super fine abrasive paper, then 0000 steel wool) in order to achieve maximum spark rate. do this polishing alone and you will probably be astounded at how well and fast it will ignite the pan. enjoy!

here's a super cheap traditions (spain) "hawken style" flinter, with highly polished hammer steel ...

0Kxk1N3.jpg

Latest posts

Back