lapping your barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcrotch

Reaction score
I READ AN ARTICLE ON REALTREE.COM ON LAPPING YOUR BARREL USING A LAPPING COMPOUND HAS ANY ONE DONE THIS OR DO YOU RECOMEND THIS WITH A NEW MUZZLELOADER??

lap-73.jpg

lap-ball.jpg

I started lapping my rough 73 cal with a 1in72 twist. This is my setup.

I used 5/16 rod and threaded the ends. The brass insert is threaded thru, allows the rod and stub end to screw in. I used a ling bushing to push from one end, and into the brass insert. This expands both ends of the lead lap.[as needed]

I backed the nut and bushing off to show the shaft. I used a threaded shaft, my first try, but only the end with the nut would expand. I like this setup better.

The breech end is a hose watter fitting with a brass sleeve as a guide. The plastic ball could be bigger, but works OK.

I started with 320 grit Clovers Lapping Compound, but it is too fine, and am waiting for some 120 to come in.

I am fairly sure that most of the rough areas will clean up. Two of the groves have cutter chatter in three different areas. I am sure that is the cause of the two holes that blow thru the patches. Always two, and next to each other, just like the chattered rought spots.

As the lapping progresse, I will keep you updated.

Waiting for the shooting TEST!

It is so easy, I plan on doing my future barrels also.

[this is how I did it]

I should be done thru the breech.

6-24-06-Target-73.jpg

Shot this 3 shot group today with the lapped barrel shown above., with peep sights.

Back