Lee Round Ball Mold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicioli

Reaction score
Hi my daughter living in France will come to Brazil next november and I must tell her the right size mold to buy.
I saw two, #90436 .440 cal and #90438 .445 cal.
Which one should be correct for the .45 TC Patriot Pistol.
Thanks, regards, Nicioli

Either one would work, it would require different patch thickness depending on the barrel. Most target shooters prefer a tight ball with thinner patch, but your barrel will tell you what it prefers. For ease of loading, I would go with the .440 ball and start with a .015 lubed patch. You can always get thicker or thinner patches if need be.

Thanks, wouldn´t a .445 with a thinner patch, say an old cotton T shirt be better than a .440 with a thicker patch?
Thanks,regards, Nicioli

Thinner patches burn up more readily than the thicker patches.

A cotton "T" shirt makes a terrible patch that will shred and cause fouling and poor accuracy. A .445 ball will load much harder, and I have seen several T/C Patriot guns that were broken at the grip by people trying to start & force tight fitting balls down the bore. My advice would be to go with the .440 ball and a .015 patch.

That's a tough decision. I have a 45 caliber rifle that shoots a .445 ball more accurately than the .440.
I use a .010 thick patch with the 445.
Any chance you can get both molds?

That's a tough decision. I have a 45 caliber rifle that shoots a .445 ball more accurately than the .440.
I use a .010 thick patch with the 445.
Any chance you can get both molds?
Not a rifle but a pistol and 440 will work every time especially with a new shooter who likes to make smoke and kill cans ! If pursued accuracy will come down the road ,we are talking newby here

Latest posts

Back