Lee S&W 500 (With a Twist)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I have had this idea in my head for awhile now but just haven’t followed through with it, After shooting Harleysboss’s .45 Cal Grease Groove bullet, it got me to thinking i need to make it happen! It’s The Lee S&W 500 bullet as a GG in my .50 Cals, Harleysboss’s new .45 Cal GG and the Lee S&W 500 are very similar in design, with inset grooves instead of exterior bands. I am gonna try these Lee S&W 500 bullets as a Grease Groove in my Stainless .50 Cal Green Mountain LRH 1:28 Twist. I took the Lee C501-440-RF Mold up to a Machinist friend of mine and had him Bore the Gas check Shank out. It turned out really good :yeah: I poured up some to test, they measured .502-.503 with my 40:1 Alloy, and weighed in at 460-461 Grains. I Pan lubed and ran them through my .501.5-502 Sizer, I loaded my rifle to check fit? AWESOME :yeah: They start good and snug, and stay that way all the way to the powder, I couldn’t ask for a better fit! These will definitely stay put on the powder. Hopefully get a chance to try these tomorrow.

ylenG06.jpg

Just need to cut them out in the morning and go :yeah:
eqakU9E.jpg

I won’t get to shoot these til early next week, supposed to be Rainy weather here all weekend (Lightning and Thunder now). The 1 thing I don’t like about this Lee S&W 500 as a GG is the lack of lube it’s gonna carry, it only has the 1 shallow lube groove, and 2 shallow crimp grooves. A much better way to go in this bullet design as a Grease Groove would be my Accurate molds #49-440P, The Mold i had made from the Lee S&W 500 bullet i sent Tom. I had him do away with the Gas check, and he added an extra lube Groove instead of 2 Crimp Grooves like the Lee S&W 500 bullet

This bullet. This one should hold plenty of Lube. If the Lee S&W 500 shows good promise i will order this Mold in Steel, except have it Drop from the mold around .505 with my 40:1 Alloy, Lube and run them through my .501.75-.502 Sizer.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_det ... 440P-D.png

MSalyards said:
Does it matter if you lube the bullets before you size them?

It makes sizing them easy, And it’s nice because they are ready to load n shoot :yeah:

I’ve already switched gears :lol: I ordered this Mold this morning instead, In Steel/Iron :yeah: This is a Tapered design, But i went with all bands .504 so there will be no taper in mine, these will be lubed and sized to .502, The bullet is 1” long, And Should weigh right on 500 Grains. I’m thinking a good fit for the 1:28 Twist? Hopefully anyway!

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_det ... 488M-D.png

I will stil be testing the Lee S&W 500 bullet as I originally planned, but after messing with it I really have my doubts of it Carrying enough lube?

I shot the Lee S&W 500 bullets Greased this morning, They did VERY well! :yeah: No leading whatsoever, they must be carrying enough Lube to get the job done?

This was 85 Yards from my Muzzle, It was Cold here this morning and trying to drizzle rain, i shot my fouler shot at a clump on the Sand bank (i hit it!) Then started my Group, i shot 3 shots and quit. 95 Weight Grains of Swiss 2F powder, and a Wool OP Wad, These bullets load AWESOME in my Rifle, They are not difficult to load, and will DEFINITELY stay put on the Powder :yeah:

My Rifle and the Target, Not a real pleasant morning, drizzle rain, and foggy
qPZYVWB.jpg

The bullets lubed
Zb8QU3L.jpg

My Target, I recycled the Target i Shot Harleysboss’s .45 PP bullet, Black tape the backside of the holes and she’s good to go another round. No need to waste targets over 1 group. I was very happy with the performance of the Lee S&W 500 as a Greased bullet, and Gas check removed :yeah: This would make a SOLID hunting setup!
WPstEUq.jpg

Latest posts

Back