Let's standardize BH209 wt/vol....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I'm thinking we should standardize the weight to volume measurement for Blackhorn 209. Those of you that have some BH209, a volume measure, and a scale....actually weigh 5 charges on a scale and average them for each volume of 100gr, 110gr, and 120gr of Blackhorn 209. Also please list what type of volumetric measure you are using... Sound good?

Here's mine:

100gr vol- 66.9gr wt
110gr vol- 73.0gr wt
120gr vol- 80.3gr wt

T/C U-View measure

Standard Weights

Chuck, good idea. Weighed (10) 100 gr. by volume charges (tapped) on Dillon beam scale and calculated the 110 gr. & 120 gr. from results:

100 gr. vol.= 70 gr. wt.
110 gr. vol.= 77 gr. wt.
120 gr. vol.= 84 gr. wt.

Used TC U-View powder measure.

Great Idea

Flint River TC U-View tapped and leveled average of 5 Pact digital scale

90 = 61.06
100 = 68.62
110 = 75.76
120 = 83.38

TC U-view measure and forster balance scale I cross checked with my TC brass measure and get very close to the same. Lee
100= 67gr
110=73gr
120= 83.4gr

T/C brass powder measure and Flint River T/C U-View. Measured 12 thrown and 12 settled, then averaged each. Weighed on a Lyman Beam Scale.

025-1.jpg

Brass Thrown
100 = 68.8833

Brass Tapped and Settled
100 = 69.8750

Flint River T/C U-View Thrown
100 = 68.0833

Flint River T/C U-View tapped, settled, rounded to nearest grain wt
Vol = Wt
80 = 55
90 = 62
100 = 69
110 = 76
120 = 83

T/C U-View powder measure and RCBS 5-0-5

90gr vol = 61.7gr wt
100gr vol = 68.2gr wt
110gr vol = 76.3gr wt
120gr vol = 82.5gr wt

I thought there was more difficulty measuring this than T7. It seemed like when using the "funnel" on top of measure to scrape off excess, there was a lot of variation. The granules seem very hard.

So... I tapped the bottom a couple times and scraped off the top with a striker (aka credit card) like when determing corn test weight the old fashioned way.

Really wish I would have made it to the range to shoot this stuff though yesterday. I'm hoping Wednesday!

Hey guys, I took the liberty to just make a quick excel file with the averages.

Busta, I only used the charges that went through the TC U View. Hope you don't mind.

BH209wts.jpg
[/img]

If you want to "cut to the chase" scroll to the last paragraph in this post.

Another way to look at the accumulated information is to divide the "Volume Grains" number by the "Weight Grains" number. That will tell you that "one" grain by weight = "x" grains by volume.

Using that method and averaging for each contributor -
Chuck results = 1 grain by weight = 1.498 grains by volume
Coltchris results = 1 grain by weight = 1.429 grains by volume
Minst results = 1 grain by weight = 1.456 grains by volume
Lee 9 results = 1 grain by weight = 1.48 grains by volume
Busta results = 1 grain by weight = 1.447 grains by volume
Young results = 1 grain by weight = 1.456 grains by volume

Throw out the high - 1.498
Throw out the low - 1.429
The average of the remaining four is 1.46

120 grains by volume = 82.2 grains by weight
115 grains by volume = 78.8 grains by weight
110 grains by volume = 75.3 grains by weight
105 grains by volume = 71.9 grains by weight
100 grains by volume = 68.5 grains by weight
95 grains by volume = 65.1 grains by weight
90 grains by volume = 61.6 grains by weight

After wearing myself out with all the math, it makes sense to me to divide the volumetric grains by 1.5 to get the equivalent weight in grains. If that makes sense to you, then it confirms once again that we should listen carefully to Chuck b/c he was a mere 2 thousandths of a grain off.

Best regards - Cob

I would tend to say that BH209 weight is 30% less than volume... ie. 100 gn volume = 70 gn weighed.

I have seen that same ratio on several boards and it is easy to remember.

T7 2f is 20% difference 100 gn volume = 80 gn weighed... easy to remember.

Since I feel that BH is less senitve to load differances than a lot of powders and we all know that volume measures differ as well as tapping not tapping ect. I ran a little experiment and shoot my favorite loads on set weigh, one set with the U-view TC measure. vary little if any differance, so I thought I would check an other differance [because I hear some people are getting much better groups than others] with one set of loads I check the wad pressure to 25 pounds with the other set I did not get the same wad pressure I just shoved it down without any attempt at getting the same pressure now the differance was apparent the average group opened up from 1.2 to 2.5. There are a number of things I dont know yet like just how much wad pressure it takes to get best results or if any one else is doing these kind of experiments. It has become apparent that to tight a sabot messes up accuracy as well as the ones that are to loose to me that indicates the possability that it would be easy to get to much wad pressure. If some of the people who are haveing good luck with this powder would indicat how much wad pressure they are using it might give us some more guide lines. Lee

RCBS 5-0-5 Beam scale
100 gr volumn -----67.6gr weighed
105 gr vol---------72.4 gr weighed

The "grain" thread has me thinking that I would like to see what western
powder says their BH 209 weighs .
We've already established that our measurers vary (in some cases greatly)
Hopefully if they establish a GV to GW our scales will be more accurate
(SAFER)

Tim

PS: I'm not saying my conversion is correct or any ones else is wrong!

My RCBS 502 Balance beam reads:

72gW for 100gV as measured in my CVA Brass powder measure, tapped and settled.

71gW for 100gV as measured in the TC U-View powder measure, tapped and settled

TC brass powder measure?

Busta or anyone........Real important question for me. How much does your TC brass powder measure hold when closed all the way up??I may have been counting mine wrong for about 40 years. Hmmmm I may have been killin them critters faster than I thought!
Wayles

The small one starts at 50 gr and goes to 120 gr
the Magnum one starts at 80 and goes to 150
This is taken from my TC measures. Lee

TC brass powder measure?

Thanks Lee 9
My weights always run more than everyone elses and I thought, well maybe closed up its 60 instead of 50 and I have been wrong all these years but I guess not.
Wayles

This mornings experiment: old brass plunger measure (unknown make)
Carefully measured and tapped well ,100GV 3F Goex black-
Weight was 98.0 grains (GW)
Next 100 GV BH209 (well tapped)-GW 67.3
110 GV BH209- 74.03 GW (I shoot 74.0)
Earlier in BH load development I was loading 68.4 GW and checked
my weight on a RCBS scale- 68.0 (different than mine but used for center
fire reloading) close, but showing my scale slightly heavy
I hope everyone will be careful max. loading with heavy conicals :!:

Tim

Latest posts

Back