Light Weight Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbuck28

Reaction score
So my wife loves her muzzleloader now that I’ve found a pretty good load and reduced the recoil..... 80grains of BH209 and a 200gr PR dead center bullet.(avg velocity 1725) She has some impressive groups out to 225 yards with a Vortex HSLR turret scope.

We have an order placed with PR bullets that we placed on Thursday last week. We’ve sent a few emails asking for tracking as the season approaches...Nothing.... So were looking at other bullets in that weight ranges.

Anyone shoot the Tradtions Smackdown bullets yet?
Specifically the XR in 200.
Or the Smackdown blood in the 170? I guess there getting some great blood trails with this bullet.

We will only be hunting Deer. Average shot is 50-75 yards with an occasional 200 yard shot from a blind. Would like to stick with BH209 around the 80g due to recoil.

I did a search and didn’t come up with much on the Traditions. Thanks in advance :partyman:

With the polycarbonate tip and vertically ridged sabot, the Smackdown XR bullets appear to be Berry Bullets plated muzzleloader bullets.

.40 SSTs will shoot close to the PR bullets . Myself if i would use either Barnes 200 grain XPB bullets or Leigh bullets . The Liegh bullets have a excellent track record . I have killed deer with PR,SSTs and Barnes but have not shot anything with a Liegh. Several on here have with great results . Hopefully Sabotloader will chime in .

Barnes 200 grain XPB bullet are the bullets i looked at last year too. It was suggested to go with a 44 cal for better BC? Can you recommend a sabbot to pair it with?

The Liegh bullet?? Do you mean Lehigh bullets? I tried googling Leigh bullets and didn’t find anything.

I got a hold of PR bullets says there’s a shipping email that was sent but i can’t find it in my spam folder or inbox. He assured me they were shipped so we’re hoping they show up soon.

We went ahead and ordered both the traditions bullets and we’ll let you guys know the shoot.
Thanks for the replies.

WV Hunter said:
Lehigh ML bullets

Knight Bloodlines (made by Lehigh)

These work well and the 200 bloodline is a favorite of many :yeah:

Adding to WV Hunter's thoughts

The 40x200 Lehigh/Knight Bloodline is a great bullet

Lehigh is also producing a 40x195CF-HP solid copper bullet and you might also look at the .451x230CF-HP on the Lehigh Defense web sight. A GREAT deer bullet...

Lehigh_451x230_CF-HP.jpg

Used the PR dead center bullet in 200grains... Shot was 30 yards and he made it about 75yards with a blood trail a blind man could follow. Complete pass threw.

Attachments

• 47682758_10213911982813766_5376997509233115136_n.jpg
    47682758_10213911982813766_5376997509233115136_n.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 160
Low velocity and thick sabot petals equals a slower sabot release from the bullets. Thats not exactly great for accuracy. I would be more inclined to try the Lehigh 40-195gr or 40-185gr before trying the Barnes 195gr. IMO you will have a better chance of reliable expansion or in the case of the Lehigh...Controlled Fracturing.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/collectio ... 3172603396
https://www.lehighdefense.com/collectio ... 0255244343

Personally ive never had much luck shooting 40cal bullets in 50cal sabots. 45cal bullets have been far less fussy and sabot choices are far better.

The Traditions XR is nothing more than a Berry's Blue Diamond plated bullet. Its been around since about 2010. The Traditions Bleed bullet is a rebranded and price inflated DRT TerminalShock bullet that cost $20/50 if you bought directly from DRT. However, frangible bullets are not exactly my idea of a BIG GAME bullet. They are made specifically to minimize penetration.

If you want a cheap light all copper bullet you can get them from General Bullet aka Copper Only Projectile. They offer a 45cal 185gr pretty cheap. Around $37/50.

Back