Long walk with four bullets.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy Whiteneck

Reaction score
Long walk with four bullets.

I got off work 01-28-2011Friday morning after a 12 hour graveyard shift. Went home, loaded up, and went to the range. I’d planned on working with one bullet at different ranges, but ended up taking 4 bullets for the long walk. Got to the range about 7:30 am and was shooting around 8:00 am. The morning started out at 51* F and warmed up to 65* F or 69* F. I had on a t-shirt, sweat shirt, and a light jacket. Before noon I shed the light jacket and a little later I shed the sweat shirt. Very little wind early in the morning, then it picked up. From about 1:00 ppm. until 4:30 pm. I had a crosswind blowing left to right.

Here’s the set up:
CVA Apex .45 cal. QRBP w/ Nikon 3X9X40 BDC
Spinjag starter / giRamrod ramrod from spinjag
Blackhorn 209 / CCI 209M primers
Lane’s powder tubes / Lane’s powder tube holder
Caldwell Tack Driver
Birchwood Casey Eze-scorer 12” sight in targets #37213

DSCN0109.jpg

Here’s the drill:
Swabbed the oil out of the barrel with two dry patches (both sides).
Fired 3 primers to foul the barrel.
Load and shoot. Load and shoot.
Allowed at least 5 minutes between shots, sometimes more.
Never swabbed the barrel between shot.
Never cleaned out the flash channel.
Fired 61 total shots. No hang fires or no fires.

Four Bullets:
Harvester Funnel Point 200g / Harvester Plain Blue sabot
Lehigh 200g Brass / Harvester Plain Blue sabot
Barnes MZ 195g copper / Harvester Plain Blue sabot
Hornady SST 200g / Harvester Plain Blue sabot

I had such a blast doing this. That’s what kept me going. The reason for wanting the 200 yard range is that there are coyotes where I hunt in Kansas and I’d like to take a shot at what ever range they’re at. I’m not sure I’d try for a deer at that range though.

I will post these four bullets in separate posts.

61 shots...Wow...you did a lot of shooting :!:

Great to see .45 range reports coming in muzzlenut. With 2 feet of snow on the ground, I'm not quite ready to go to the range in a t-shirt yet.

Baytown, Houston, Tx.....................temp really dropped last night........it's 22*F right now at 7:30 am...........20% chance of snow Thursday and 60% chance for Friday.
We don't see this very often.

muzzlenut said:
Baytown, Houston, Tx.....................temp really dropped last night........it's 22*F right now at 7:30 am...........20% chance of snow Thursday and 60% chance for Friday.
We don't see this very often.
I wish it would warm up to 22 degrees.

It's -22 degrees here, and this is one of the warmest parts of Colorado.

haha -15 last night and a whopping 4* right now. I need a purdy lil lady to keep me warm. But i am on the search!

Thats a great looking pic of the Apex, i really like the setting. 61 shots, how the hell long did that take?!

I got to the range about 7:30 am, started shooting about 8:00 and left a little after 4:30 pm. I put in a full 8 hours and it was a blast.

Back