Lyman 54 CAL GPR INFO

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpt-t

Reaction score
Hi Guys:  Been out of pocket for some time now. My Wife's health has pretty much failed now, but She is stable. And all the Doctors have told me that the chances of me bring Her home are slim to none. She is now in a long term care and rehab facility with 24 hr care. It has been a long hard road the last couple of years for my Wife and I. Pretty much just pushed everything else aside and just tried to deal with our problems as best as we could.

But I have decided now to try to learn to shoot my Lyman 54 cal GPR again and get my mind off all the problems once in a while and get some fresh air. My Gun Club Range is just a few miles from my Wife Care Facility and I carry a cell phone with me at all times now. So I will not out of touch with the doctors and Nurses should my Wife need me. The 11th of May my Wife and I have been married 54 years. Hell of a way to end it all up. But I need some expert advice GUYS on a couple of things with my Lyman 54 CAL GPR.

I think I have bought and still have all the accessory You Guys recommend to me a few years ago fills up two Possible Bags. But I need to have a few extra Nipples and I am having trouble finding any, what make and size do I need. Would 5 or 6 be enough extra to have on hand. All so I have 9lbs of GOEX FFG on hand the rifle seem to shoot this powder very well. I was told to use 80grs of this FFG powder when I first started out, awhile back by the previous owner of my rifle. I  have 500 Hornady 54CAL .530 diameter  lead round balls also recommended by the my rifles previous owner.

Am I ready to go to the range and get my hands and face dirty. Or is there something else that I need. A couple of my Gun Club Member Friends that are old hands at Black Powder shooting have offered to lead me by the hand and spoon feed me again and give me private shooting lessons. I think just to make fun and rawhide me for a while. So I won't be out there at the range all by my self. And blow any thing up.

They even offered to close the whole darn range complex down while I am there except for other bad mouthing antagonizers. I am expecting a large loud and exceptionally obnoxious group of no load scum bag foul smelly spectators. In other words all my old friends, and they say they wouldn't miss it for the world. Thanks for any info You Guys would like to pass my way.  It is nice to be back.
ken

cpt-t said:
A couple of my Gun Club Member Friends that are old hands at Black Powder shooting have offered to lead me by the hand and spoon feed me again and give me private shooting lessons.
Really sorry to hear about your wife. No doubt you're doing all you can along with the pro's, but it's important for your own health to take little breaks as you can.

Your buds slotting you under their wings is the best news, both for your own health and for shooting startup. From what you describe your gear is pretty well covered. I wouldn't be in a huge rush to get more nipples, but when you need them you want 6-.75mm. Scroll about half way down this page at Track of the Wolf for a listing.

Your powder supply is ample, giving you a little less than 100 shots per pound at your planned 80 grain charge weight.  But it can go lots further with no decrease in fun if you use light charges too.  I have about 15 years of steady shooting with my own 54 cal GPR, and I bet fully 2/3 of the shots are with a charge of only 35 grains.  It's wicked accurate out to 50 yards, and right on the money at 25 yards when I've sighted my gun in with heavier charges. Plenty of boom and smoke while easy on the budget and shoulder. I use mine lots for head-shooting snowshoe hare, accounting for the lopsided number of light charges I shoot.

Speaking of sight-in, mine is a hunting gun more than a range gun, so for best trajectory I've sighted it in dead on at 75 yards. That puts it around 4" low at 100, about an inch high at 50, and like I said, right on the money at 25. Nice that with that sighting it's also right on at 25 with the light charge, though an inch low at 50.

Best wishes for you and your wife.  Meanwhile get on out there for a little shooting with your buds!

It is very good that you are getting out and doing... especially with your friends. 
A caretaker must take care of themselves to be of any use.

Focus on patch, powder, ball... in the right order... and enjoy your sights gently bobbing 
onto the target and forget all else. Then smell the wiff of smoke on the breeze and notice 
the grin you will get when it goes BOOM.

Then talk a little smack with your buddies- no matter if you hit or you miss. 
Consider it a prescription. 

In the meantime, I'll say a little prayer for you and your wife.

BrownBear & Kentucky Colonel:  Thanks a million for your kind words, and the time you both spent to answer my questions and giving me your personal words of encouragement. I truly appreciate what You have done for me. My Wife will turn 73 and I will turn 74 this October. All I can say for sure is that it sure sucks to get old. 
Thanks Again:
ken

Im very sorry to hear about your wifes health, I wish you both the best.

For nipples, I'd look at either the Hotshot, Treso or Knight Red hot nipple in .6-75mm

My friend is running the hotshot on his GPR 54 and 80gr Goex 2fg with .020" patch and .530" round ball.

FRONTIERGANDER:  Thanks You also for Your kind words and much needed Information. I hope to really get some serious shooting done with my Lyman 54 CAL GRP this time. But we will have to see. My Wife sort of controls this show.
ken

Back