Lyman GPP Sights are to dang thick and low

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msplcdyankee

Reaction score
My Lyman Great Plains Pistol front sight is giving me fits as I get older and the peepers age. Is there a replacement readily available or should I just file it down a little thinner?

Will there globe front sight work take a look at them it will be 17aeu I believe

A great world of options out there for you. You might check some of the replacements from The Gun Works as they have some good variations. Personally if I need to see a little more light between the sides of the rear and the front, I would open the rear a little instead of filing the front. Somewhere around 1/10 of an inch seems to be one of the most versatile thicknesses for a front sight for most uses. Compared to the thin sights, it's easier to establish your sighting height with the thicker fronts.

I've changed all my gun front sights to silver blade and widened the rear sight notch. I like that TOTW thick front sight. Think it's .080".  All my rifles are set up the same so the sighting is the same from gun to gun. I see the silver blade better. At least that works for me.

That's what many of us are here for, trying to help out. Thank you for asking.   :ttups:

Back