Minor problems in the woods today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
Minor problems in the woods today

Was out this morning and for a change took my 243. Deer movements were slow, likely because of the added presure the deer have had of late. Anyway one happened by and I was going to take her. Decided a while back that I would use a head shot so as not to spoil any meat and if I missed so be it. Already have 4 deer in the freezer. Well, the deer was 50 yds away walking broadside. I lined her up, squeezed and missed. Best I can figure is that since my rifle is set 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yds, and that she was maybe 10 ft below me I shot right over her noggin :(. That was OK. She ran about 20 feet, stopped, looked towards me and started grazing. No one said mule deer were smart :D. I cycled the bolt and low and behold it wouldn't extract the spent round. Tried several times, nothin'. I sat there chuckling at myself and she finally wondered off. When I got home I checked and it seems the extractor was seized up. How? I don't know but it happened. Did a little maintainence and only made matters worse :mad:. The little ball under the extractor popped out and ended up, who knows where ???. Oh well. Tommorrow is another day and the Remington model 4, 30-06 is going hunting. Don't regret anything. Had a great time out in the woods ;D ;)

Raf, I can sympathize. I had an experience last week at 15 min. after sunset. I had a 150 9 point come in and stand on a dirt mound 25 yards away. I was using my buddies spare bow after both mine were stolen earlier this summer (waiting on 2006 models). I usually drill and tap a second bolt hole to hold launch securely on my bow. I did not do this on borrowed bow. It had moved almost 3/8 inch, must have bumped it. I drew up and released, buck just stands there. I got second arrow from quiver and drew up and released, buck just stands there. I get third arrow from quiver and draw up, buck turns slightly 1/4 away and I release, buck just stands there. At 3rd shot my last arrow falls out of quiver to ground. That buck turned back around and walked to within 15 yards and turned and walked off and disapppeared. I checked for sign of hit at scrape and lick stick he worked there was none. Next afternoon I went to dirt mound and all 3 of my arrows were stuck in dirt no more than 4 inches apart. I have not seen that buck since. Quess thats why they call it hunting not killing!

Latest posts

Back