MK @ the Farm - Moose on the Palouse

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
This morning I loaded up and went to the farm with the reclaimed MK-85. I have/had treated the bore with Bore Tek on Thursday before heading to Kennewick to watch fall FP softball and Soccer. Now I needed to go shoot a bunch of bullets out of it to cure the Bore Tek.

I had had the rifle out one other day last week and was somewhat sighted in at 50 yards.

When I got to the farm I set up across the road from Dinger's house and again noticed the Whitetail 3D archery target setup near the house and under some small trees. I really wanted to shoot that realistic little buck but went ahead about setting up my target and some clay pigeons at 75 yards. Then I set up the shooting station - shooting between to pieces of farm equipment parked in the shooting field.

I took at shot at the target and it was placed about where I thought it should be elevation wise but right about 4". I removed the peep aperture and adjust the slide and guess windage and reinstalled the peep. Took another shot on paper and it was nearly perfect so my interest in paper was lost and I decided to go onto the clay pigeons. I continued shooting the pigeons, my first two shots took the tops of the pigeons off but left plenty of bird still available and visible. The next to shots finished off the two birds.

After that last shot I got up from the portable bench and walked back to the loading bench (my tailgate) I again looked at the whitetail and thought - it would be so easy - but then I looked at the house and the in the flower garden was a shape - really surprised me. I watched it for awhile and it MOVED. It was a darn calf Moose working the shrubs and plants in the flower garden. He/she did not seem to really care that I was shooting or that Dinger's dog was barking at cars as they drove by the house. I returned to shooting working on to more birds and the really did not seem the bother the moose at all.

So I thought what the heck get some pictures - so I began taking pictures as I was doing that another car came by from the highway and noticed me taking pics - they looked left at what I taking pictures of and then hit the brakes and kinda slid in the gravel. That prompted to moose to move out of the flower garden to the vegetable garden where some grabbed his attention so he knelt down began on feeding on something no longer concerned about the car or me shooting. Eventually and as I continued to shoot he moved out of the garden past the deer decoy and to another large shrub and began feeding again.

I had enough pictures so I went back to shooting and as I finished my last shots I looked and he was gone.

Everything worked out well the rifle is sighted for a 100 and the Bore Tek should be cured.

That is cool SL! Especially the pic with the target in it :D

A friend of mine got a moose 2yrs ago, boy is that some incredible meat! Do you guys have a season there?

very nice pictures and a great shooting rifle. I did not know that Idaho was known for a moose population. Every once in a while we see a moose over here. I think they come over from Minnesota boundary area. One thing I will say for moose is, they are sure tasty... :D

WV Hunter said:

A friend of mine got a moose 2yrs ago, boy is that some incredible meat! Do you guys have a season there?

We do have a Moose season, but it is a once in a lifetime draw. I have never even put in for one because if you do then you can not get an Elk draw. We often see moose while elk hunting and it is really just to watch them.

sabotloader said:
WV Hunter said:

We do have a Moose season, but it is a once in a lifetime draw. I have never even put in for one because if you do then you can not get an Elk draw. We often see moose while elk hunting and it is really just to watch them.

Gotcha.

A good friend of mine moved to Montana about 20yrs ago... same deal there. He put in and got drawn on his 2nd or 3rd year. Everyone he knew was pissed because some had been putting in for 20-30yrs or more and had never gotten a tag. :lol: He went out and killed a medium sized bull with his bow, great accomplishment.

Good luck with the MK, hope you take her out at least one time this year :yeah:

I don't believe I have ever had the opportunity to try moose. I have heard it is wonderful eating. Maybe I can go north or west some day and get a chance.

I saw a moose on Kamiak Butte earlier this summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back