Mulie in velvet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonny

Reaction score
Here is my 2012 archery buck, shot on Sept 21st. It is a mule deer in velvet, although the rack looks more like a whitetail's.
I had seen this deer the day before, but ran out of daylight to put a stalk on him. Early the next morning I was back out where I had last seen him, and he showed up on que.

I seen him walk into a small draw and not exit. I slowly approached and did not know exactly where he was in the the ravine. It turns out he had already bedded down, and when I got close he spotted me and stood up. I had couple seconds to range him and figured him to be 40 yds. I put the 40 yd pin on him and let it sail, only to watch the arrow fly over his back. He bolted back the direction he originally came from and I caught a glimpse of him going into some standing corn.

I made my way that over to the end of the corn and spotted him 6 rows in, about 200 yds away. I closed the 200 yd gap, then entered the corn field and looked down row #6, then 7, and then 8. As I peeked my head into row #8, I came face to face with him at about 5 yds. He was broadside with his vitals in the row. I put an arrow through the boiler and he made it 15 yds and expired.

It was one of the more thrilling hunts I have had in awhile.
2012Archery2_zps2c8a05e0.jpg

very nice buck. Congratulations on some excellent hunting tactics.

Back