My first geese

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groovy Mike

Reaction score
Friday evening I asked for and rec?d permission to hunt a local pond that the geese have been frequenting. Sunrise Sunday we snuck up on the pond until about 20 of them saw us and went airborne. I knocked one down with the single shot 12 and it glided down on the far side of the long pond. So we sat down to enjoy a celebratory cup of hot chocolate before starting the hike. A couple geese landed close to my dead one (about 120 yards from us). When we stood up, they took off ? and so did my dead one! Lol

We headed home for church and a soccer game, but 20 minutes before sunset we were back and did the same routine. This time I had the old side by side and let go with both barrels when the wings started flapping. I must have been excited because I pulled both triggers together. 3 birds fell. No blind. No dog. No boat. So I went for a chilly swim. The water and the air were each about 50 degrees! But we collected my first geese.

It was a great day. One of the few when my son (11) and I have collected game together. He'll be old enough to hunt in NY next year so I hope to do a lot more hunting with him - geese included! But by next year - I'll have a BOAT!

Congratulation on the geese. I sure do like to roast them in a Brinkman Grill where they can cook slow and all the grease drip out of them.

Geese can take a lot of killing. I always hunted them with a double barrel 12 gauge shooting 3 inch magnums #4. But I had a large Black Labrador that did my swimming. :D My friend had a double barrel 10 gauge made in Spain or Brazil that he made the mistake of hitting both triggers one time. We went right through the back of the stick blind from the recoil. Worst part is he missed the goose he was shooting at anyway.

10 gauge

Cayuga, theanks for that story. Bad day I;m sitting here laughing my a_ _ off on thet imagery!! What is funny is when the dogs look at you like "what the hecki are you doing"

On the way to pick up my son at soccer practice last night, I spotted a couple dozen honkers way off the road on a farm I have permission to hunt. What the heck I thought. I had half an hour to kill and about 45 minutes until sunset. It was the last hour of the last day of the early season. (geese are safe in NY for the next 30 days until the regular goose season opens on Oct 25). So I pulled over, put on my orange and black camo sweatshirt and took the old side by side for a walk. Getting across the first field of cut corn was easy. I was so far away that they didn?t pay much attention to me. Then there was 50 yards of 5 foot high saw grass and cockleburs, nettles, and swampy brush to push my way through before I got to the edge of the cut corn field they were in. Lucky for me they were only about 50 yards from the edge of the high stuff. I just picked a goose, cocked the hammers and stepped out walking toward them fast. I had gotten about 5 yards closer when they took flight. Both barrels dropped one back to the stubble.

(is it considered ground swatting if they are six feet up?)

I was just congratulating myself when it stood up and started to flap it?s wings and run! There I was with an empty gun. It didn?t quit get airborne again but ran away flapping as I stuffed a couple more shells in the 12. I was afraid of losing it, so when it popped its head up to look around I anchored it. It might have been a dead bird anyway but I didn?t want to risk losing it.

My wife had the camera at play rehearsal so I couldn?t take any pictures but there was another goose in the fridge by the time she got home. Now I just need to heal up from the saw grass on my hands and spend an hour or two picking cockle burrs off my sweat shirt! But God is good. He let me end my season with bringing home another goose. And it sure was easier to retrieve on land than the others were from the water- brrrr! And I managed to pick up my son on time to boot!

I chased a lot of live geese that were wounded in my day. They can really put some distance on you. And when you do catch them, they can be most uncooperative. I sure don't blame you for blasting him again.

I think hunting on private land is great. The trouble here is you have to own it or know someone that does. For reasons, I do not hold the land owners responsible, many land owners do not allow hunters on their property. You know the story, broken fences, gates left open, trails through their fields, etc. A few hunters, who did not know how to act, ruined it for many.

So I used to hunt an area of the State where there was State land with public blinds that bordered a reserve (called Pine Island). Once the geese reached the reserve, they were safe. You could shoot at them coming in or out of the reserve, but if you knocked one down and he went in the reserve, you could not take your gun in there. No matter how alive the goose was.

We had a good flock come over in the fog one morning low. I picked out a nice fat one and fired and it folded sweet. The guy in the blind next to me roared out two shots, and I saw a goose set it wings and drift over the magic line into the reserve. My Labrador (Named Boswald.. Bos for short) went out and brought mine back. The guy in the blind next to me walked out unarmed to get his.

He climbed the fence and that goose got up and took off running. The dog and I watched that man chase that goose around for about ten minutes until he was all puckered out. The dog wanted to bolt out there, but new better then to move without being ordered. By now the goose had got back into the reserve a good distance. It was plain it had a broken wing but was far from dead.

Finally the man came walking back empty handed. I thought he was going to have a heart attack he was so tuckered out. I asked him if he wanted his goose. He nodded yes. So I said the magic word and that black monster of mine was out of the blind, under the fence and the battle was on. Soon I watched the lab walking back with a very nice goose.

He brought it to me (and no one else better try to touch that goose.. his one bad point) as taught, and when I handed it to the man I never knew anyone so appreciative of an act of kindness. He shook my hand and told me what a great dog I had and thanked me numerous times. I told him I did very little actually.

About five minutes later he walked over with half a bologna sandwich and some coffee for me and asked if my dog could have the snack. I mean come on, this is a Labrador Retreiver. They are eating machines. I accepted his offer as did the dog. I really liked goose and duck hunting. I stopped it a few years back after my old friend passed away. It just was not as much fun sitting in the blinds anymore.

Great story and sure sounds like a great dog. Thanks for sharing :)

I do want to let the alnd owners know that I very much appreciate access. I have gained access to 2 farms this year. I sent both thank you cards, gave one some venison jerky and the other some of my wife's homemade cheese. I'm planning to send both households chocolates for Christmas, but I'm wondering if i should wait that long. I may just get the candies early and give them now. I'm thinking chocolates because while one farmer might appraciate the jerky, his wife clearly did not think much of the look of it. What I don't have to offer is time, but any other suggestions?

There was one farm that I used to be allowed to hunt. I used to go out and help bail hay. Just like the old days.. :D Even reverted back and helped move a few hogs from time to time.

But you're right, when you are pressed for time, then you have to at least make an effort to show how grateful you really are. If they live close to a town, you might try a gift certificate for a local restaurant. or a Wal Mart gift card. The women love that those kind of things and the men do too.

Happy hunting.

I think that is exactly what I am going to do. About 5 miles from the farm is a little restaurant / candy shop where everything is over priced but oh so good. A $25 gift certificate will buy the owners lunch for two, or a box of choclolates made on site. If I get the gift certificate they can decide.

Sounds like a nice place to have access to. The gift will be appreciated.

I sent you a PM about a duck boat - PM me your e-mail if you want the free plans.

Rich

Latest posts

Back