My first leather holster rig

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacanis

Reaction score
I was having a hard time getting any of the holster makers to make me this rig. Even though they offered something very similar to the movie rig from Pale Rider. One said I wanted too many cartridge loops, another did not want to put a belt loop on the back of the holster, one of them did not like the belt width I wanted... :rolleyes:
So I ordered the stuff and made it myself.

Maybe if they ever go on sale I'll actually get a conversion cylinder or two for it. But in the meantime it's strictly cap and ball. And that suits me fine, too.

So in the style of:
IMG_2386.jpg

Excuse the pistol not being fully seated. It goes in another 1/4" or so.
4.jpg

That's some nifty leatherwork! I like the spare cylinder loops.

Thanks.
I bought of those cylinder loading stands, too. I'll be able to load a few up and go have at it.

WTH? too many cartridge loops?!? Thats not a real thing. Sounds like something a politician would say…”you have too much ammo”. It looks awesome! Great job.

Dang Etsy sellers, lol. I was willing to pay extra.
But I'll tell you, I can't say I wasn't wishing there were less when I started stitching them.
Thanks.

But I'll tell you, I can't say I wasn't wishing there were less when I started stitching them. And I'd say your leather crafting skills are top notch.
Here's the kicker.... in the end you've got exactly what you wanted, and you made it yourself. There is a whole lot of satisfaction in making what you want without having to fiddle around with people who think they know what you need. No one knows better than thou. I think your leather crafting skills are top notch.

Here's the kicker.... in the end you've got exactly what you wanted, and you made it yourself. There is a whole lot of satisfaction in making what you want without having to fiddle around with people who think they know what you need. No one knows better than thou. I think your leather crafting skills are top notch.

The weird thing was, the one seller actually told me to research the rig and see if I found anything different than his version if I wanted a change.
If you've seen the movie there aren't many good looks at it. But I have the movie saved and looked closely when they showed the holster :)
And he even told me about the brown belt and black holster, even though his rig was all black.

But he sure wasn't going to put a belt loop on the back of the holster. He said it wouldn't hold up.
Someone ought to tell Triple K that I suppose :rolleyes:

But you're right. In the end I'm happier I made it myself.
Learning experience for sure.

110% agree

Looks great! I like it. Very good representation of the original. Only thing I would add is a small piece of leather to the bottom of the cylinder loops to keep them from sliding through if doing a lot of walking.

Thanks @rhbc13

I already had the leather strip cut and stained for below the cylinder loops. But I lost real estate. I was stitching top to bottom and the loops shifted just a little in that direction. I lost my full 1/4" on the bottom and gained it on top.
The loops are a tight fit, but if I need to I'll trim/sand that piece down and drill the holes rather than punching them.

Maybe I'll do it anyway. I want to add a hammer lanyard in case I wear it while brush hogging.

Latest posts

Back