My last-minute “Sunday-fishing” trip…

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty1

Reaction score
I don’t normally fish this impoundment on Sundays, but you “take what you can get” when the annoying weather pattern dictates when you can safely boat.  Here’s a view yesterday
[font=Verdana, sans-serif]
bRl7Dor.jpg
[/font]
from my Jeep at 6:30 a.m. in the “launch line”.  Looks discouraging… but only ended-up being a half-hour wait to fire-up the boat engine.  With a 39 square mile coverage and 181 miles of shoreline, there’s always plenty of room at the Quabbin Reservoir for fishermen without bumping into one another.

Wind conditions kept me either trolling or fishing on the downwind backside of islands.  An expected downpour strayed-in for about 15 minutes around 11:00ish, but I stuck-it-out for only cloudy skies in the afternoon.
No salmon or trout today, but it was a productive bass day with my best catch…
[font=Verdana, sans-serif]
KFwCwIh.jpg
[/font]
a 3 pound smallie on light spinning tackle. :D

thats a gorgeous bass! I have only caught one in my life and it was to small to keep lol.

That boat line had me groaning when I opened this post lol.

Nice bass!  Like FG, I’m not sure I’ve ever even caught one?  I live in trout country.

CoHiCntry said:
Nice bass!  Like FG, I’m not sure I’ve ever even caught one?  I live in trout country.
we have bass in trinidad lake but damn, I hate that lake! just always dirty and choppy.

My wife says no more Boats after I sold my last one. The Picture is making me think she might be right.

Fish with bait setting on the bank taking a nap.

oneshot

That Boat line would be the end of me, I’ve done that enough in my life on The Wa Coast, That Place was an ABSOLUTE ZOO, The Rivers weren’t usually that horrible, But try and get a Boat in the Puget Sound Through Any Public Launch. If you were bored you could drive down to a Big Launch, sit back and Watch the Wrecks/Crashes  :D

Idaholewis said:
That Boat line would be the end of me, I’ve done that enough in my life on The Wa Coast, That Place was an ABSOLUTE ZOO, The Rivers weren’t usually that horrible, But try and get a Boat in the Puget Sound Through Any Public Launch. If you were bored you could drive down to a Big Launch, sit back and Watch the Wrecks/Crashes  :D
Sounds like the public sea launch sites here on the East Coast near Boston...a traffic nightmare. 

Fortunately, long launch lines like the one I've shown occur for the most part in April and May (peak fishing after ice-out). 
The inland Quabbin is fishing only...no other boating activities allowed.  It also restricts engine size to half the boat rating... with a  25 H.P. four-stroke max.  That coupled with the required "clean-boat" tagging keeps boat traffic extremely low year round.

I always wanted a boat.  Our launches in Colorado are much like what is pictured.  I settled for a kayak instead.  Glad I did.  I can launch from anywhere really and I can get into places where boats rarely go, quietly too. 

That is a beautiful smally. Great color on it.  Congrats on the awesome day on the water!

LongRifle said:
I always wanted a boat.  Our launches in Colorado are much like what is pictured.  I settled for a kayak instead.  Glad I did.  I can launch from anywhere really and I can get into places where boats rarely go, quietly too. 

That is a beautiful smally. Great color on it.  Congrats on the awesome day on the water!
Thanks LongRifle.
One of my buddies who fishes tournaments told me just last week he went out and bought a kayak.  They are a great solitary way to connect with the fish!  There are many ponds in Massachusetts with great fishing that only allow electric motors.  These ponds can provide a kayaker with a low pressure, fishing getaway from the commotion of big recreation boaters.

FrontierGander said:
CoHiCntry said:
we have bass in trinidad lake but damn, I hate that lake! just always dirty and choppy.
There's nothing like fishing in clear, clean, pristine water.  It was an enjoyable day yesterday on the water.  No wind 
6AbhthQ.jpg

and the bass were still on the beds where I found water temperatures between 65* - 69*.  
Fishing isn't just about catching fish.  Check-out the water clarity and the wildlife.  A loon and a red-headed Merganser duck with six off-spring scoping the shoreline.
C5VSXes.jpg

zYtXwtJ.jpg

It was a bonus day boating 10-15 bronzebacks :)
2cRNMpJ.jpg

Agreed Lewis .... :coffee:
That boat line is a bit deceiving. Marty is just posting that to keep us all away! the lake at the end of that boat line is a special place which makes it all worth it. At least for around here. That is probably the gem of massachusetts and rhode island at least. maybe even connecticut

Back