My Latest Project is a Favorite of the family FINISHED

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man Shawn, I just saw the finished pics (not sure why I haven't looked back at this thread for 3 mos :d'oh!: ). She looks awesome! Great job!! :applause: :applause: :yeah: I envy folks that have talent (and tools) that I don't. :D

Have you had a chance to shoot it?

Hey Mike,

Thanks. Yup I did shoot it. The chamber is a little tight on it. I had some Different Target rounds and figured they would be good to shoot since they are lower velocity rounds. Shot a few Fed Target and they would stick in the chamber and send them into larger groups. Surprisingly Remington Subsonic HP's shot great. I shot it at 35 yards, about all I can do any good with open sights. It loved them. If I could hold the little guy still it just ate a hole in the target between the the size of a quarter and a 50 cent piece. Not bad for me, someone that shoots open sites good would do much better. I was real surprised at how well it shot. Had absolutely no issues with the action failing to lock up, or extract the Remington's SS HP so I got a couple more boxes of them. Also anyone that shoots it now will not get debris in their face. :d'oh!: Still don't believe they shot it that way.

I took the Rifle home the weekend before Memorial Day and we had a big Family shin dig. My Dad and my Uncle were over joyed at the little rifle. They both looked like they might tear up talking about it and all the great memories they had of it. When they cocked the hammer back and opened and closed the action and heard it snap shut they both looked up at me and said "So that's how that should work?" Well Duh! :wink: :lol:

I just had my Cousin start making me some parts for my MK-95, he was at the family shin dig too. I went to his shop over in Dayton Oh to show him my MK-95 and talk about the parts I wanted him to make. After we were done he asked me to take a ride to his house to look at a rifle he had. It was a little Remington I think, but I forget the model number right now. He then showed me a 12 gauge side by side, both of which were his Grandpas. He said he liked what I did to the little Favorite so much that he wants me to refinish the shotgun and then the rifle for him. :shock: He s a Machinist with his own shop and is VERY particular so that took me by surprise. More Winter Projects! Love it. :D

Shawn,
That Stevens looks phenomenal, you did a masterful job.

Congrats on the hard work. :yeah:

Skip

Thanks Skip. It was a fun project, sometimes frustrating, and meant a lot to me, my Dad and my Uncle since it had been in the family for so many years. They even mentioned it again when I was just recently home for Deer hunting.

One of my Cousins was there at the family shin dig for the revealing and after looing at it he asked me to refinish an old Double barrel shotgun that was his Grandpas. It is no where near as bad as that little Favorite. I think the hardest part will be finding a good replacement recoil pad with the right hole spacing. Plus it was a Red pad and he would like it to look as close to original as possible. not as many Red Vented pads out there as you might think. I am also trying out some different stains to get one to match the current finish. The walnut has a "Reddish" tone he likes. I have wanted to duplicate that on a stock or 2, but never really tried it so now is the time to try. I am testing some Herter's French Red on some walnut strips. Once I get that close then the stripping will begin. :wink:

Latest posts

Back