Navy Pistol?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earl Burlin

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am looking to buy a new single shot pistol and the Pedersoli Navy Moll looks very nice:

50_S_353.jpg

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipologia-prodotti.asp/l_en/idt_28/pistols-navy-moll.html

It's a good looking pistol, .45 caliber with maple stock. There is not much I could find about this pistol though, so I have some questions about it.

1) Why is it called "Navy"? The "Moll" part refers to David Moll, the maker, but were these pistols used by the U.S. Navy?

2) Is this a military/defensive style pistol, or is it purely a dueling pistol?

3) The sights on this gun look kind of out of place and too tall. Would it be possible to cut down the rear sight and add a shorter front sight?

If anybody out there knows, please help. Thanks so much all! :)

The front sight is dove-tailed in according to the photo you posted. That means it can be replaced. The dovetail my not be the same size as the replacement you choose so get accurate measurements first.

I never heard of this gun before but I am not very familiar with Pedersolis.

Looks more like a kentucky pistol to me.

The front sight is left tall so the shooter can file it down to where it needs to be. It will most likely shoot very low with that front sight the way it is.

Thanks guys! So just what were Kentucky pistols used for? Dueling? Why is this a Navy gun? Thanks!!

Nothing navy about it, just a name they used. Like tc,cva, traditions using the name "Hawken" on their reproductions.

Neat, thanks guys. I like Pedersoli guns. Here is my Harpers Ferry pistol they made:

20160212_115021_1.jpg

It is really neat and accurate. I just loved the look of their Navy Moll pistol as well, and .45 caliber is never a bad choice. Just looking for some feedback on it.

Thanks so much all. I went ahead and ordered a Navy Moll percussion pistol from Pedersoli. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on the gun, and with luck I'll be able to post a range report in a week or two. Stay tuned!

Thanks,

Earl

Pedersoli = QUALITY.

I have a Pedersoli single shot handgun I have yet to fire.

It's nice.

You cant go wrong with Pedersoli I have 2 Sharps ,1 sxs 12 gauge,2 Kodiaks  a 58 and a 72 no problems nicely made accurate.

mark1945 said:
You cant go wrong with Pedersoli I have 2 Sharps ,1 sxs 12 gauge,2 Kodiaks  a 58 and a 72 no problems nicely made accurate.
I agree but they are way overpriced. They are approaching the cost of a custom-made gun but are assembly line units.

FrontierGander said:
Looks more like a kentucky pistol to me.

The front sight is left tall so the shooter can file it down to where it needs to be. It will most likely shoot very low with that front sight the way it is.
I purchased a used Pedersoli Navy Moll Flintlock recently, locally. I paid a bit over $400, and am pleased in both saving $$$ and in getting a Used Firearm.

Although everyone loves NEW, I am reluctant to fire a new gun. It devalues them so much ! (yeah, a bit silly, I suppose)

The former owner says he has shot it 300 times. The wear on the Frizzen sure agrees with that, but otherwise it appears he treated it very gently.

He was right up front on that he says he filed the Front Sight down a bit to get the pistol to shoot accurately.

The Rear Sight required no adjustment.

I hope to fire it myself when the weather improves a bit.

Back