New 54 cal GPR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambuster

Reaction score
Well i just got one about 2 weeks ago and was interested to know what ball diameter and patch thickness you GPR shooters think is the way to go. I have looked through this forum and it seems like .530" balls with .015" patches are the most common arrangement . When I ordered the gun the guy told me .535 balls and and the only patches I could find was .015" . I would just like to know what your experiences have been.

Congrats on your muzzy.  The .015 patches are pretty common.  Muzzleloader barrels can be different sizes even with the same brand so .535 ball might be good as the seller mentioned. It won't take long to see what works best.  I believe October Country has a variety of patches thicknesses.  I don't recommend, however, going thinner than .015 if possible and I don't think you'll have to.

Good Luck with your your .54 cal.

Well....IMO, I think it's good, reliable, plenty of power and easy to clean up.  In fairness I've only shot 2F in my .54 & .58 side locks and that's mostly flintlocks.  I have not shot the other substitutes, didn't need to.  There are many of the forum members that have shot a variety of powders and I expect they'll share their thoughts on them.

I shoot .535's with a .018 pillow ticking patch. Accurate...and fairly easy to load.

My load is .535 with about .012 patches and 50 gn. of 3fg Goex powder. It does shoot pretty well.
pistol10.jpg

I like 3F in Lyman sidelocks. It has a really small breech channel and 3F gets into it more reliably.

That was the first group that I shoot with this pistol. I was happy with the group, but not the recoil. I tried a reduction in powder to reduce the recoil, but it also reduced the accuracy so I went back to the original load. I shoot this into the end of a hickory log and recovered the slugs. They penetrated a little over an inch. Two were fattened  and three were one large chunk of lead. Waiting for spring to shoot it from the bench.

Back