New Gun (pro hunter T/C) question bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdv

Reaction score
I'am new it this so I need some info of what I should shoot with.

for hunting whitetail deer and other, around here people shoot powerbelt.

your sugestion and comment are welcome.

adv

I would like to give you a great big WELCOME from Indiana and the rest of the members on this forum, You are about to talk to some of the best guys and addvice givers there is.

Not real shure of the regs in Canada I am gusting that Saboted bullets are leagel there.

What type of gun are you shooting / what is going to be your MAX shot distance, are you hunting open fields or in the Timber ?

LET us know this and we will be able to serve you better and narrow it down better.

Lungbuster1
RON G.

thks.. really happy to had find a such good forum.

for your question yes we can shot sabot, and the type of hunt will be mixed with mostly open area.

I had just bought a Thompson Encore Pro Hunter 28"

Look to hunt in northern saskatchewan

If you plan to hunt in northern Saskatchewan you'll find a lot of timber and ranges will be shorter so sight in at 100 and you should be good.

OK

I would Suggest Buying 3 Diff. Bullets Like Barnes Spitfie TMZ 250gr Or 290gr Also T/C Shockwave 250gr or 300gr and the Parker Balistic Extreme 250gr or 275gr .

As far as powder try triple 7 2fg or pyrodex RS Start off at 80 or 85gr by VOLU. and you can work your load up until you find a charge that works with a paticular bullet.

I would sight in for 1" high at 100yds that way if you need a longer shot like 150 to 200 yds you won't have to hold so high. BUT I WOULD TRY TO KEEP MY SHOTS UNDER 150yds. or even better 100yds becouse 200yds is a hard shot to make even with some one that shoots alot.

I shoot 95gr of 777 and a 290gr Barns Spitfire TMZ out of my Knight Disc Extreme with some great ACCUR. Shot a nice Doe opening day at 90 or 95yds she never took a step ( DRT ) shot a second doe a few days later at about 115yds she jumped went 15yds and bellyed up.

I like a heavyer bullet for the better down range energy.

RON G.

My PH likes three Shockey's Gold Sticks and a 300 grain Nosler... but these are great guns so I don't think you will have a problem finding a good load. Also try the 260 grain Nosler and 110 grains of 2f 777. I would load both these bullets in a MMP HPH 24. Good luck!

You might want to start with the 250 gr. T/C shock-waves and load 100grs, 105 grs and 110 grs of 777 powder. Loading in 5 grain increments does make a difference in obtainable accuracy in modern in-lines.

Try the Barnes TMZ bullets as well...they are pricey but well worth the price.
Be sure to mouth wet a patch after each shot and clean after 3 shots.

Chocdog

Latest posts

Back