New Old Stock T/C Pro Hunter FX?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heat

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Been searching for another gun to buy to supplement our Wolf. I've been kicking around the idea of a .45 Caliber but not dead set on that. Woodman Arms Patriot has most of what I'm after but hard to pull the trigger on that without feeling one and the LONG wait doesn't help. Pretty sure I would like a Knight Ultra Lite but again not sure, never handled one and not being used to a bolt action muzzleloader, it seems a bit strange for just setting in a primer. Another thing that prevents me from buying from them is the ridiculous excise tax that they charge the consumer. Maybe I'm naive but I thought that was their tax not ours to pay. I would much prefer a nitride version and the only way to get one that I know of is to order directly from Knight which jacks the price way up with their shipping and tax, not cool. Which brings me to the topic at hand. I hadn't really considered a T/C since they went belly up. Doing some poking around, I think I found one at my local gun store. It' a .50 but I think I can live with that. Not entirely sold on a .45 anyways. I am somewhat apprehensive to buy a rifle that I will get zero customer service from the company. Also looked around for a spare breech plug and had a really hard time locating one so worried that if something goes bad I would have a hard time finding parts. Any thoughts on the availability of parts for a discontinued rifle? Anybody have one of these that can give me some peace of mind regarding these guns. Is not having an extra breech plug a non-starter for a muzzleloader? Otherwise the break action, weight, features, barrel length, LOP and Made in USA are all attractive things on this gun compared to the CVAs and Traditions guns which are on the other end of the spectrum. This seems like a happy medium price wise at $629. What do you guys think, am I just being paranoid about not having an extra breech plug or two and no company customer support?

Have you looked at the optima V2 .50 in nitride? If you like the wolf you will like the optima!
I have one coming next Weds , I wanted the thumb hole stock but it was not offered . But I wanted the nitride more so sometimes you have to compromise . I just hope it shoots or at least keeps up with the side locks I'm spoiled that way/Ed

I’ve seen several TC Speed Breech plugs go on eBay recently - none cheap. You might be able to modify one to use vent liners - then you could just replace those.

I have had an Encore 209x50 for many years that I like. I think Id personally probably avoid getting the FX just because of the replacement/spare plug issue unless you could mod as I described.

As for other TC parts, I wouldn’t worry one bit about that. Anything that you might need one day you can find somewhere.

Have you looked at the optima V2 .50 in nitride? If you like the wolf you will like the optima!
I have and I actually handled a few that are available locally. Feels very good. It's always been in the back of my mind as a default gun for another 50 but wanted to explore the Made in USA options first. I'm a firm believer in buying domestic goods if possible. I get it that sometimes that's not in the budget or even possible. I can buy whatever gun within reason but I have to justify it in my own head. Not sure I can justify spending more than triple for the Knight versus top model CVA Optima. Woodman maybe since it comes with the nitride regardless at a few hundred less than the Knight. Similar weight, similar length, choice of barrel twist and stocks. I've also thought very hard about buying a Mountaineer its just longer and heavier than the Ultra Lite and that's not always a good thing when you hike a lot, especially in the mountains. Not in any big hurry anyways. Still working on the Wolf.

I bought a scratch and dent Mountaineer Ultra Lite from Midway last year at a considerable savings.
My muzzleloaders trudge through the Adirondacks and the White Mountains where everything is uphill. Coming prescratched didn't interfere with it's shooting ability, and it wasn't like she was slated to be a safe queen.
Midway doesn't always have s&d, so if you aren't overly rushed, you might add that to your tickler file.

Back