New Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Black Mag 3 here. I really like the powder. We fired 10 rounds through when we sighted it in. There was hardly any crud ring when I cleaned the muzzleloader. It took 3 patches to clean the barrel. I am shooting 100 grains of powder and Barnes 245 Split-Fire MZ's. That load gives me a little over 2000fps. I figure that's good enough for deer hunting. Hope this helps you out. :yeah:

Black Mag 3 is not really a new powder... it was originally marketed by chemist Dr. Anthony Cioffi (developer of the formula) through his firm ARCO Powder Co. based in Florida.

I tried it at the time, about ten years ago, and was SO pleased I stocked up wholesale at that time and still have a small amount of the original.

MagKor, the current manufacturer of Black Mag 3 has, according to tests by a few sources I've seen, retained all the properties of the original if not enhanced them.

This is their website:
http://www.magkor.com/

They are affiliated with MDM in Maine.
There is contact info and one listing for availability: http://www.mdm-muzzleloaders.com/index.html

I cannot stress enough how clean and easy to use this stuff is.
I discharged my rifle after a fruitless season several years ago, brought it home and put it in the back of a closet with intentions of cleaning it the following day... :? completely forgot about it for several months!

When I finally did remember, hauled it out and inspected the bore expecting a nightmare! :shock:
All I discovered was the same fine, gray burned powder residue left when freshly shot!
:D Cleanup was as routine as always.

At present the entire MagKor supply is being used to assemble those cartridge doodads MDM is hawking, but loose powder is supposed to be available soon. Rumor is it will be kinda' expen$ive($40.00/lb.) but is so superior to ALL the others I've tried in terms of user friendliness both at the bench and during cleanup, I for one will not be put off by the stiff price.

Black Mag3 is a great powder. I shot off a couple pounds testing it and had excellent results with it.

The problem is... the cost is a little high, and their distribution stinks as you can not find it anymore. So what good is a powder to me that if you run out somewhere or sometime, you can not buy more.

For the difference in cost and the availability of powders, I would stick with Triple Se7en 2f or their 3f. Cost wise, it is better, while it does produce a crud ring in some rifles, a simple swab takes care of it, very powerful, and a very consistent powder.

Also a very good powder that is over looked because of the fowling and corrosive nature is plain old Pyrodex RS. It has been on the market for many many years. It is a good powerful powder, and very consistent in accuracy. A powder does not stick around this long if it is no good. I like Pyrodex RS in my inline rifles..

Back