New to the forum

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale1962

Reaction score
Thanks all for this forum... I have a question i have a CVA Accura muzzleloader with bergera barrel. I looked down the bore and have found a bit of pitting in the powder area as well as the muzzle tip. Rifling seem to be intact, but this worries me about excessive pressures and useing this gun safely. Has anyone had sucess cleaning up the rust in one of these and does it adversely effect accuracy? I wouldnt be opposed to replaceing the barrel bit went to the bergera site and see none listed for this gun.. any advice wopuld be greatly appreciated

Light rusting, even some pretty bad in certain cases can usually be remedied by several methods depending on rust severity. Some mild flash surface rust can usually just be cleaned, and shot away, and usually wont affect accuracy, or safety much.
Ive seen some 100 year old relics that looked pretty bad brought back and put into use. But, Ive also seen some newer moderns that were bought and used once and never cleaned, quickly deteriorate to the point where it was trash, they arent that much to replace. Theres a broad spectrum there with infinite variables.

Clean the rifle good. And oil the barrel to make sure the rusting has stopped. it sounds like minor rust to me and I doubt you will see too much of an accuracy loss. The range will tell you the truth. Good luck and have fun.

Has any one ever experiences pressure increases or a safety issues from such pitting? i would think as long as i can see the rifling intact it shoulded be considered an obstruction thanks to all for thier responces.

I seriously doubt you should have any concerns about safety. Most metal expands over 40 times its size in rust. even If the barrel was fully clogged in rust and rebored the actual amount of metal lost is very thin. I know of several people who have taken a rusty old barrel, rebored and rifled it to the next larger caliber, and continued on without a hitch. And Ive even owned some muzzleloaders (bought cheap after whoever owned them and didnt know about black powder, probably used them for the first season and never cleaned them pulled them back out of the closet and saw it was all rusty) Many guys pick them up cheap, and with a little TLC bring back a decent gun. Or even a fine entry gun for a child or a new to the sport friend. I still have a sidelock or 2 that has definite pitting in the bore, especially near the breech, where a load may have sat. you can feel it while loading. BUT they still shoot true, and I consider them safe. One even comes to mind, purchased at a local flea market that was still carrying a load. It took the most time and effort to dislodge the rusted in load than the gun cleanup almost. I went through several different methods and techniques to finally clean out the chamber, but have another shooter for less than a fraction of its possible worth.

:yeah:

Glad your with us. Sit back and enjoy the group.

Ray.......... 8)

Back