New toy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Traded a recently traded for Bill Eyre Flintlock shotgun for this due to the fact that flintlocks make me flinch too much..
All I can say about this Pederosoli is man are they nice weapons, fit/finish is excellent, very nice deep bluing..
took gun out and shot it twice at a dead tree at about 20 yds just to see if it would fire functioned flawlessly. This gun has only been fired 20 times at most ever and it looks unfired, no marks dings scratches, powder marks etc..
If anyone has one of these and has worked up a turkey load for it would like to hear it for a practical starting point, looking forward to try busting a turkey with it..

Attachments

• IMG_0154.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0155.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0156.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 365
Very nice looking shotgun there. When I was shooting a .62 caliber smoothbore (20 ga) I tried a lot of combinations. The best I found for turkey was 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 2-3/4 wad with a matching amount of shot. I guessed it a 25 yard gun at best. So I got a 12 ga T/C New Englander. Here I loaded 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and then later changed to APP 3f same amount, and a 3-1/4 solid was and a matching amount of #6 shot. I figured it at a 25 yard gun. Then purchased my Knight Tk 2000. Loaded correct its a 40 yard gun to me. Some shoot them further then that.

with choke tubes in this gun it could probably be made into a 40 yd. gun, would just be a pain to load with tight choke tubes, would probably have to remove them each time to load in order to get a wad in.

My New Englander 12 ga has a tight choke tube and if you want to shoot the plastic shot cups you have to pull the choke to load it. Its a real PITA.

It is expensive and hard to find but tungsten shot in the smaller sizes put up good patterns from what I have seen others post on gobbler nation.

2-3/4 wad full of 1-1/4 nickel plated 5 shot, over 60 2f goex small game, same load 80 grn, turkey.
I have to remove the choke for every wad..

thanks, where do you get your wads? BPI?
Which tubes are you using, turkey x-full choke tube?

Squeeze said:
2-3/4 wad full of 1-1/4 nickel plated 5 shot, over 60 2f goex small game, same load 80 grn, turkey.

dbowling said:
thanks, where do you get your wads? BPI?
Which tubes are you using, turkey x-full choke tube?

Squeeze said:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/BPI-Premium-Field-Wads/products/655/

Yes wads from BPI I use ranger plus wads for small game (2-3/4) and turkey ranger (3") for turkey, (the 1-1/4 shot load was one 2-3/4 wad full, I cant remember the heavy load offhand. I weigh everything and tote the load in tubes, long for shot, and small for powder. (Lanes tubes)) I use a hastings choke (.665.. I think) in a jug choked white tominator. I use the unslit wads mostly. You can pretty much adjust the pattern by how deep, and how many slits. Ill usually put 2-3 in about halfway down the wad cup. (just cut slits with a sharp pocketknife) I do have to unscrew the choke every time to load the wad. Ill usually pour powder, unscrew the choke, and shove in wad and shot, tamp, then overpowder wad, tamp, re-attach the choke. I havent been able to tell a difference with or without an overpowder wad, so I just dont use them for shot. the wad should suffice. And sometimes I use one overshot card, sometimes 2. I havent been able to tell much difference in pattern, I just like 2 cards sometimes while walking far. Its probably not necesary, Ive never jolted them loose yet, and Im pretty sure the noise of pellets rolling loose would sound the alarm. Im just convinced that for me, that would have the worst possible timing. :lol:

thanks for the link and info., hope I get time to do a little turkey hunting this year..if not looking forward to squirrel/rabbit season now.

those unslit wads will do a lot. You can put 4 slits in to the base and open up for small game, or just put 2 slits in 1/3-1/2 way down the cup and get a whole different pattern. Turkey I use the nickel plated shot from BPI, small game its whatever I can steal from the reloading bench at the moment. Usually 7-1/2.

Latest posts

Back