Next new rifle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Thinking about a new rifle once more :twisted: 

I have the traditions kentucky in a flintlock since 2006, so I am thinking about adding a factory built percussion model to the wall.

Whats nice, it has the 1:66 slow twist and is light weight.

What do you think?

I like the Kentucky and Late Lancaster style rifles. I want a TVM Late Lancaster rifle.

Nothing stirs my gun lust more than seeing and handling a model.  Better yet is seeing lots of them all at once.  If you can manage it, it's sure fun to walk into a shop or a friend's house with an array.  Handling and "feel" drive me more than any particular style.

BrownBear said:
Nothing stirs my gun lust more than seeing and handling a model.  Better yet is seeing lots of them all at once.  If you can manage it, it's sure fun to walk into a shop or a friend's house with an array.  Handling and "feel" drive me more than any particular style.
Try being involved with the rifles of GRRW Collectors Association being building, everyone I see or handle I want.  :face:   :twisted:

conner said:
BrownBear said:
Try being involved with the rifles of GRRW Collectors Association being building, everyone I see or handle I want.  :face:   :twisted:
Ain't that the truth! I haven't even shot my Leman Squirrel Rifle enough to call it broken in, and I'm already in talks about a trade gun.  Those guns are so good, handling them is like catching some incurable disease!

it will most likely be after hunting season. On facebook I asked the question of what I should review next and I got everything from a flintlock, smoothbore, powder, bullets, shotgun, etc. Just have to figure out what I can do next that will be helpful to others.

I think you should review and tell a story about a man in Buena Vista who left his apartment to live in a tent and become a mountain man at the ripe old age of 75. It would make a great magazine story.

BigAl52 said:
I think you should review and tell a story about a man in Buena Vista who left his apartment to live in a tent and become a mountain man at the ripe old age of 75. It would make a great magazine story.
Would it be a comedy or just a story about an old man that didn't think about all the issues of no services like medical, food, ect. 

He should have read the book "One  Man's Wilderness" first and seen how Richard Proenneke handled living alone in AK starting at age 51. Now that's a true story of survival and knowing how to live off the land. Well worth reading (studying) for anyone before one goes off lacking a lot less knowledge than he though he had.

Good luck Pete, you'll need every bit of it available in today's society.  :bow:

conner said:
He should have read the book "One  Man's Wilderness" first and seen how Richard Proenneke handled living alone in AK starting at age 51. Now that's a true story of survival and knowing how to live off the land. Well worth reading (studying) for anyone before one goes off lacking a lot less knowledge than he though he had.
I didn't read the book but saw the 2 part PBS series of him building his own cabin out of native materials he gathered. I've watched it at least 5 times.

He was a hell of a builder and worker. No power tools, only his feet and a canoe for transportation and he had stuff flown in once or twice a year. They made a wilderness area or National park out of the area after he homesteaded it in the 60's.
He moved back to the lower 48 in his 80's. They kept his cabin and cache and have a tour showing it. I think it's near Lake Clark.

His skills were top notch, all the tools, cooking spoons, even the hinges on his doors were beautiful. What skills plus mechanical ability.

Back