No regrets!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 70

Reaction score
Man I love my Savage!!!!

Tonight, I cleaned it for the first and last time this season. My season started during Iowa?s early muzzleloader season mid-October. The load I started using this year was 44 grains of AA5744 behind a 250 grain Hornady XTP with a Winchester 209 for ignition. I filled my early muzzle tag with a 100-yard shot on a doe. By late muzzleloader season, I swapped out the 250 grain XTP for the 300-grain version. Last Monday afternoon, I filled my tag with a 130-yard shot on a doe. I had been holding out for a buck, but with the season winding down and the freezer running short, I decided to hang a deer.

Why do I love my Savage? I didn?t have to clean it all season and when I did tonight, cleaning was a snap. Also, I left it loaded for nine days prior to shooting it last Monday. It stayed in the trunk of my car (in and out of the garage) through temperatures that went above and below freezing daily. During this time, I had it out hunting in rain and fog. When the shot came Monday, the Savage came through.

Christmas provided me with two pounds of N120, so it looks like I will be working up a load for the 300-grain XTP in the off-season. I am looking forward to next fall! It can?t get here soon enough!

Randy

jnrbronc said:
Christmas provided me with two pounds of N120, so it looks like I will be working up a load for the 300-grain XTP in the off-season. I am looking forward to next fall! It can?t get here soon enough!

Randy

Or.....Barnes Orignal

Savage Shooter said:
jnrbronc said:

Randy

Or.....Barnes Orignal
Can not wait until they are available! :lol:

Redclub said:
Those barnes originals are awesome
Ken

If a person could only find some :( I did work up a load of 59 grains of N120 300 grain XTP. Late antlerless season opened last week and I couldn't resist :lol: Had to go buy a tag.

jnrbronc said:
Redclub said:
Those barnes originals are awesome
Ken

If a person could only find some :( I did work up a load of 59 grains of N120 300 grain XTP. Late antlerless season opened last week and I couldn't resist :lol: Had to go buy a tag.
I hear you,can not get enough of it!!

jnrbronc.just curious! How were you able to hunt early and late ML, season ??

bompa said:

I know you can do it if you are a landowner by getting one paid license and the other a landowner. You can also get both shotgun seasons.

coop said:
bompa said:

I know you can do it if you are a landowner by getting one paid license and the other a landowner. You can also get both shotgun seasons.

coop has it right! I didn't know I could do it until the woman at the licensing station told me I could. I bought a regular late muzzleloader license (any sex) and was able to get a landowners antlerless early muzzleloader license. I got a landowners shotgun, good both season along with a landowner antlerless shotgun, again good both season. I bought an archery tag (buck in my avatar) as well. Now I'm hunting the late antlerless only with my ML10II. 'bout the only season I skipped was the Thanksgiving weekend antlerless (didn't bowhunt my property as I had better ground for that :eek: ). I didn't want to spook a big buck off my property, which a friend wound up shooting it second day of shotgun season. It has 23 scoreable points, a few less than an inch and had broke at two points off that looked from the bases as being scoreable. A very quick tape has it at 190 gross. Obviously, he has it at the taxidermists (Joe Meder).

getonit said:
how about some pictures? we would all like that.... Rick

Well, I looked for a harvest forum at MM and didn't see one. This is the buck I was talking about. I had a "Texas heart shot" at him at 50 yards that was through some brush so I passed on it. I was carrying my ML10II slung over my shoulder, and was in the process of dropping my Rem 870 in favor of the ML10 when the buck started moving to my friend Darren. I was creeping through a brushy creek bottom and wanted the 12 gauge for snap shooting. The first count I had eighteen points over one inch in length, then I looked and counted again and came up with 21. Final count was 23. One picture can not catch it all. I think you can see that the right G2 has two stickers off the back, multiple (cluster) brows, etc. Even though it wasn't taken with the Savage, the Savage was present and justifies the post here :roll:

Darren23512.jpg
[/img]

Back