Northwest Edition CVA Optima V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I live in Oregon and primarily hunt in Oregon I decided after many years to purchase an inline muzzleloader for hunting. My old Thompson still works fine but I really wanted the breach plug for ease of cleaning, especially when at camp. A few years ago I bought the Optima V2 Pistol and have really enjoyed shooting it so made my decision on which brand I was going to buy. Price was also the other deciding factor.

Since I have to have open sights in Oregon I fitted the rear sight with an E. Arthur Brown peep sight. I kept he front sight for now, but I may upgrade that to a hoop sight. My eye sight isn't what it used to be!

I've had the gun out now for two shooting sessions. The first round we ran 25 of the Powerbelt Aerolite 250 grain bullets (had some that we'd been running through the pistol). 80-90 grains of Pyrodex RS I have been trying to get rid of. RWS Musket caps. Once we got the rear sight set we were hitting consistent 100 yard shots on a 4" and a 8" steel clanker. Which I must say the 4" target is getting pretty hard to see for me anymore at that range without a scope.

Second round out I went with the TC Maxi-hunters that I typically have used for hunting in the past. 300 grain. Shot 80 grains 777. RWS Musket caps. Again consistent shots at 100 yards.

I really like shooting this gun so far. Its nice and light, which does give a bit more thump into the arm than the old Hawkins. Easy to clean, especially when not using sabotted bullets and 777.

I purchased the Thor fitting kit and 25 of the one size fits all bullets for our next outing. Hope to be dialed in for next season, assuming I draw a tag.

49345564626_27bddcccdb_c.jpg

49345104323_8144443e9b_c.jpg

49345565111_02631784c4_c.jpg

2 things
Ease of cleaning....cleaning the firing pin/bushing will be a must with a PACNW CVA. It will belch crud like mad in there so make sure its well cleaned. Probably need to take the buttock off to do it right....Sorta defeats the whole "easy cleaning" huh?

I would use caution with a bipod on the forearm. CVA use to be plastic were the swivel connected. Those will snap in an instant under heavy recoil with a bipod. MAKE SURE ITS STEEL.

2 things
Ease of cleaning....cleaning the firing pin/bushing will be a must with a PACNW CVA. It will belch crud like mad in there so make sure its well cleaned. Probably need to take the buttock off to do it right....Sorta defeats the whole "easy cleaning" huh?

Not really. Takes two screws to remove the firing pin, one if you don't remove the barrel. Being able to swab through is really nice when cleaning any firearm.

I would use caution with a bipod on the forearm. CVA use to be plastic were the swivel connected. Those will snap in an instant under heavy recoil with a bipod. MAKE SURE ITS STEEL.

Are you referring to the sling Clip on the fore end grip? If so yes that is not where I mount the bi-pod when shooting. In this photo it was just for the photo. I have a metal adapter that replaces the screw that holds the fore grip on. It currently is installed on my CVA pistol and I didn't want to remove it. I doubt that I will shoot this rifle with the bipod. Most of our shooting is standing shots. After all that is 90% of the shots we take hunting here. When benching we use bags or a rifle mount.

It shouldn't be hitting you in the arm.

Nothing hitting the arm just referring to feeling you get in your shoulder when you fire a rifle that is properly seated.

Have you tried Schuetzen musket caps. I use them in my Optima and have never had a misfire.

You may want to try the Barnes 250 or 290 gr T-EZ bullets in your V2. I have had excellent results using them in my V2.

You may want to try the Barnes 250 or 290 gr T-EZ bullets in your V2. I have had excellent results using them in my V2.

It is illegal to hunt with non-lead bullets, jacketed bullets, sabots, and bullets with plastic or synthetic bases during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Conical lead or lead alloy bullets with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter and lead or lead alloy round balls used with cloth, paper, or felt patches are allowed.

It is illegal to hunt with centerfire primers as an ignition source during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

It is illegal to hunt with pelletized powders or propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Granular (loose) black powder and black powder substitutes are the only legal propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

An update on this gun. I've run 100 rounds of TC Maxi Hunter 350 grain (typically what I hunt with) through the gun. Running Triple 7 with loads ranging from 70-90 grains. RWS Musket caps. Zero miss fires

At 100 yards getting consistent groupings. Pretty satisfied with it over all. I've gone up to 8 shots without swabbing and very little difference in accuracy. Typically swab every third shot.

Ordered the Thor sizing kit and have determined that the .500 bullet will work best for this gun. I also ordered a pack of the Thor 1 size fits al. Ran one down and out the barrel. Felt good. I haven't shot them yet but I plan too next time out. I will also try these in my Optima V2 Pistol, using Black Horn.

Latest posts

Back