Omega / accuracy...on a budget ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas_Keith

Reaction score
Hey all... this is my first post, and I'm glad to have found a place where I can find some good info .

So I bought my first muzzleloader a week or so ago...the.50 T/C Omega Z5, and I've taken it to the range twice. I set up on the 100 yd range right off the bat ... just to see what it could do "out of box" . I was using open sights with 100g 777 pellets , with 270g powerbelt aero tip platinum series bullets. I was VERY impressed, putting ten rounds in a nice 5 " group. I didn't even have to adjust the sights for that load.

However... next I tried the 5 sabbots that came with the gun and got a diaganal line from top left to bottom right. ugly !

by the way, I cleaned after every shot.

Next I shot the great plains hollow points 380g .... and I never hit the paper....have no clue where they were hitting.

So the big Q is... will I ever get good accuracy with my omega without having to spend around 2.00 a shot ? .... I mean , thats fine for hunting...but at the range thats a good chunk of change .

Thanks for any advice.....

Use loose powder and try either Hornady XTPs in either .429 or .451 with appropriate sabots bought in bulk from MMP.

Hornady example

The Speer Gold Dot bullets are another possibility.

http://mmpsabots.com/

Midsouth

.429 Gold Dots

.451 Gold Dots

Just examples. You might find better prices at Midway or Natchez or ?

If you can't buy loose powder at a reasonable cost locally - check out http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ Powers - Hodgdon - lower part of page. HAZMAT sucks but it might not be a bad idea to stock up. T7 FFg is a good choice.

Welcome and congratulations on your new Z5. Yes packaged bullets and powder pellets are the more expensive way to go although very convenient. Many shooters including myself use bulk pistol bullets such as Hornady XTP (not the magnums) 45 cal 250 grain bullets. Midway shows them for $17.79 for 100 (#776746). I use MMP HPH 12 sabots for these and you can order on their web site mmpsabots.com. They are $10.75 for 50. Loose powder is much cheaper than pellets and Triple 7 FFG loose powder (since you are using T7) is around $20.00 give or take for 1 pound. That may be around 90 charges of 100 grain each by volume if my math is correct. So this gets the shot down to around 65 to 70 cents per shot. Still not cheap but a lot better. A lot of shooters really like the XTP's for the range and for hunting too. You will also have to purchase a powder flask and a powder measure. TC has see-thru's that I use and like. You can read more here about other bullet combinations but this will get you started using bulk items. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back