omega Z5,dreaming about one

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leapfrog

Reaction score
W ell,after getting my Lyman Mustang and I am thinking of getting one on theZ5's for my son..I have read all the reviews on the Cabelas site and have a few questions before putting down the cash..

Has anyone here bought the rifle with the scope kit and found the kit to be of poor quality such as over sized holes-bad threads in the barrel,etc...

What bullets do you find to be the best as far as ease of loading and accuracy.. I know we all have our own opinion of accuracy.I have heard some say,well I can hit a paper plate at 100 yards every shot..Boy this rifle is really accurate..OH YEAH...

Sorry to sound like a dummy,but I am a babe in the woods when it comes to the lines...Thanks for your replys ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,John

If you look around at Walmart they are closeing the Z5 kit (no scope) out for the season at under $200.00. Most of the scopes that come in package kits are junk, so you might be better off purchacing a scope. My Z5 is 1-2MOA (120 gr 777 & 250gr SST) and the quality is fine with it. I have had a thumhole stock on order from Boyds for over 6 months, the factory stock is flimsy enough to affect your POI. I really have never done any load developement so I am sure it can shoot much better, its just a backup to my Knight Disc Elite.

BSN---Thanks for your reply..Our wal-mart does not sell guns any more..I don't know why they quit..

The Omega Z5 is the dressed down version of the standard Omega. It has a cheaper stock, sights, and maybe a few other things. But it still has the Omega Barrel, trigger and warranty. I do not own one. Personally I would go after the Standard version of the Omega if I wanted one.

Most of them shoot a 250 grain Shockwave with 100 grains of powder fine. But every rifle is a mystery and what one shoots is no guarantee that the other will shoot it.

Some people are experiencing stock problems. Sabotloader has a Z5 and has made some alterations to his to beef up his stock you might say. He would be a good source to ask about the rifle.

Most of the kit guns that come with a scope are not the best scope out there... but for the money they either work just fine or are junk. When I bought my Black Diamond XR I had the option of a scope kit and turned them down. Instead I put a simple Bushnell Dusk to Dawn 1-5-4.5x32mm scope on it. Not a big dollar item but it shoots great.

Dave--I didn't know there was a standard model..I will have to check into that one then..And I believe your right that the kit models probably are not a good buy after all....Thank you for you reply...Why would they make a good one and then a piece of

Leapfrog,

Check the TC website for all the Omega models offered and you may want to look for them at a Dicks Sporting Goods if you live near one. This is a chain sporting goods store that is much bigger then Cabelas and they have great prices on them here in the Midwest area since the hunting season is over.

Curtis

leapfrog said:
Dave--I didn't know there was a standard model..I will have to check into that one then..And I believe your right that the kit models probably are not a good buy after all....Thank you for you reply...Why would they make a good one and then a piece of

The Z5 is not a piece of junk by any means. From all the posts of Z5 owners, they are great shooters. They just do not have as good a stock as the standard.. or normal Omega. Also their sights were not the same as I remember reading, but then if you scope the rifle who cares. All I have ever read about the Z5 that bothered me (not worried me) was the stocks. They were not the quality of the regular Omega. And for the reduced price, they had to cut corners some where. If I were to purchase an Omega it would be a standard Omega with a stainless steel barrel and a laminated stock. But that is my preference. If someone wants a Z5 then by all means get one. It will probably do everything they need it to do.

Z5

I'm one of those guys that bought a Walmart TC Omega Z5 kit (no scope or rings, just bullets, patches, #13 cleaner, etc, etc). Actually, I bought 5 of them (lots of friends) for $155 per. Anyways, its accurate (1.5"-2" groups at 100yds) with 100gr Pyrodex (powder is slightly more accurate than pellets) and a 250gr .451 Hornady XTP in a Hornady black sabot. Drops deer like a sledge hammer. SSTs are just as accurate but not much more so. Definitely a lighter gun than my Knight DISC (which is more accurate) for hunting in the woods.

No misplaced scope holes or anything like that. I mounted a Leupold VX-II 1-4x on low, detachable rings and no scope burn or blowback at all. I could care less about the sights but they are Williams (metal) fiber optic. Stock fits me well and so far no issues or problems. 3 pellet loads will boot you and I would add a Limbsaver if I shot that load consistently. So far I've had no need but nice to know I can if I wanted to.

Suffice to say for me, its a decent rifle at any price.

I bought the Z5 kit with scope from Cabelas, a year ago. Since then I've set up my brother and uncle up with the same setup. Brother and uncle still have original scope from the kit on theirs. Scope is a great way to start out and see if you like the gun. Great eye relief, decent optics and because its from Cabelas they will back it up. Dusk/dawn performance, is where a higher $ scope will stand out. On my Z5 I have a different scope (Nikon Monarch) with Warne QD rings and base. I love it but your looking at another ~$300 to get set up with that. I don't think the kit can be beat for getting started. Plus if you buy it at cabelas they will mount and boresight it for you. Scope is up to you, but I have no complaints about the Z5 omegas in terms of a good hunting rig. Mine has worked great this year.

I had the change to look over one of there rifles and I see what you mean about the stocks be second rate..Pretty flimsy I think...Thanks for the heads up on this....Join the NRA AND THE NMRA

I bought one in September and I love it. I did put the LimbSaver butt pad on it but other than that I think the stock is fine. It is lighter than the wood but it does the job for me. I also put a scope on mine so I took the open sights right off. If anyone was looking for a new muzzleloader, I would have no problem recommending one of the Z5 Omegas.

As for accuracy, last weekend I had a 5 shot group that were all touching at 100 yds. I was using the Hornady SST 250gr. bullets with the low drag sabots pushed by 95gr. T7 FFG. This load gave me an average of 1860 FPS. The bullet choice will be up to you but the TC guns have the smaller bores so you should stick with the EZ loading sabots.

Latest posts

Back