Omegas and Conicals?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertbull

Reaction score
Do they work well together or not? I have heard mixed results. Most think that the QLA barrel configuration is not good for shooting conicals.

I want a new ML'er that is legal in Colorado and Utah.

Would prefer a White or a Disk Elite, but getting hard to find and would prefer to see the barrel before plunking down money on a used one.

desertbull

I have tryed conicals out of my omaga not good also have read from alot of others that they are not haveing any successe with big led.

I had a little Traditions Tracker 209 and it shot conicals very well out to 110 yds gave it to my daughter the other day.

SO I'm picking up my KNIGHT KRB7 tomarrow , have read several forums from guys that say that they are real good conical guns If it shoots any thing like my Disc Extreme XT I will be one happy pup.

RON G.

The only conical I could get to shoot out of several Omega's were 348 gr. powerbelts. Some don't even shoot those. There are a lot better rifles for Co. than an Omega. Even tho I shot 2 elk with an Omega with Powerbelts
I swithched to Whites. They are just awesome with conicals.
Redclub

I would suggest 348 Powerbelts or 405 Powerbelts... One or the other will shoot.

Try either with about 75-85gr of loose.

I'm new to muzzleloading and in the same Omega boat you are in, looking for a Conical to hunt in Colorado. I only been out once with it. I tried Honardy G.P. 385 gr. They didn't shoot well at all. The best bullet was a Maxi ball, 370 gr with either 85 or 90 gr T7. All shots were at 50 yards, got 3-4 inch groups shooting open sights on a make shift rest. Those showed potentioal so I'm going to keep doing some work with that load. I'm going to also take Lungbuster1's advice and try a wad between the bullet and powder. I still want to explore the Maxi Ball a good bit more as well as try some other conicals such as the sabertooth and no excuse bullet. I'm trying to stay away from the powerbelts but if it comes down to it, I'll try the all lead, older type powerbelt H.P. The other bullet I tried was the Maxi Hunter. It shot about the same as the Maxi Ball. I'm looking for something I can use on Deer or Elk.

My Omega shoots Sabertooths quite well at 50 yds (haven't tried farther). I used 110 grs of loose 777 and got about 1 inch groups. They are also easy to load. I didn't hunt with them so I don't have any info on what they do to game. I hunted with TMZs and they work very well on game but they are a saboted bullet, no help where they aren't allowed.
I have used 348 gr Power Belts on deer and it completely came apart (it killed the deer but I am leary about them because of so many reports of the same performance I had). I think you need to keep your powder charge under 100 grs for them to hold together. I haven't heard of that problem with the Sabertooths.

The 405 Powerbelts dont have a hollow point on them and should be good medicine..

Latest posts

Back