Patch lube update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
I bought some .015 patches the other day as i wanted to try out the thinner patch in the CVA Hawken. This rifle has been a real pain in the butt on these thinner patches. I would lube them with bore butter, crisco, elk tallow and nothing would work. Shredded patches up the rear end and ok accuracy.

Some time ago you may remember me using the Birchwood Casey Barricade rust protector spray on some .018 pillow tick and the patches came out looking like new. Well i did the same today with the .015 patches, shot 3 shots with 80gr JSG 3F and came out with a 3" group @ 50 yards. Pretty normal with JSG in this rifle. I collected 2 out of 3 patches and then went and reloaded with 80gr APP 3F and did it again. 1" group @ 50 yards with my first 2 shots touching. I'll blame that due to it getting dark out

APP patches on the left, JSG on the Right.

Powder side,
000_1324.jpg

Ball side,
000_1325.jpg

Santa Fe Trail rendezvous is the june 13th so i may just head out there for a day of fun and see how it does. I modded another new nipple for it today and tried a new style of dish. I plan on opening up the flash hole just a touch bigger to allow a bit more flame.

I almost forgot, but while shooting and handling the patches, the Barricade pretty much dried up on your fingers pretty quickly, no greasy mess.

Back