Pellets or Powder?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDTerminator

Reaction score
After having used a Hawkens the last 10 years or so, I just traded it in on a T/C Triumph. Having become sick of the mess of Pyrodex, I got a box of Triple 7 50/50 pellets (all that is available in town at the moment).

I have never used Triple 7 or pellets before. I'm wondering what advantage, other than convenience, pellets provide?

Sure seems to me that powder is more economical and probably ignites faster. My gut feeling is to get some Triple 7 3F powder and work up my loads with that.

I wouldn't mind trying the Shockey signature stuff and when it comes out, the Blackhorn 209, but out here in rural ND I'm unlikely to see or find a ready supply of either. It's either Pyrodex or Triple 7...

Suggestions and advise are mores than welcome...

I think you're right on the only advantage of pellets being "convenience", but IMHO, it's a poor trade-off for what you lose. If you are really interested in accuracy, you need to use loose powder and work up your load to the best it can be. With speed loaders, I believe I can reload loose just as quickly as pellets. Once the lid is off, whatever is in there is going to slide down the barrel. Most would also agree that loose ignites more easily.
As far as whether to use 2F or 3F, I'm sure others on here can suggest what might work best in your Triumph.

Good Luck

IMO I got good groups with 2 T7 pellets out to 100yds, but then I discovered loose powder and turned them groups at 200yds. Also if you think about it with the pellets you are paying around $60 a lb versus loose at $21 a lb. if you are going to use pellets I suggest weighing each pellet and putting them into groups that are within a grain or two. In some of the pellets I had I was getting up to 5grains diff in each pellet. That is a big difference whem you want good groups. I hope this helps. Nutt

Although I've used way WAY more loose Triple Se7en than pellets, pellets DO have their good aspects.

1. PRECISE powder charge. Using Triple Se7en pellets is just as precise as a WEIGHED powder charge.

2. VERY convenient! Put pellets in a plastic tube/vial and just GO!

3. Can't SPILL it! I've shot a lot of big game animals but I'll be the first to tell you I STILL get excited and when RELOADING after shooting a big buck sometimes I get a little shakey! You'll never spill Triple Se7en pellets and the wind can't blow them either!

4. Usually VERY accurate. More times than not two pellets will shoot good with a variety of bullets.

5. End of the day. Pellets are VERY easy to deal with especially if you can't or don't want to shoot your load out. Remove your breechplug tilt the gun and out come the intact pellets! No loose powder to get every where. Now just push out the bullet!

Overall..I've never NOT liked pellets but I know they ARE expensive!

I would second Big 6x6's comments. I found the benefits far greater.

I've been shooting loose for quite a while, but switched to magnum pellets this year for hunting. Wouldn't have if they didn't shoot comparable to loose, but they are much more convenient when hunting. Easier and quicker to load w/ cold hands. Don't have to worry about spilling. I'm sure the loose is more susceptible to moisture. The loose can be tweaked better for individual rifles and accuracy.

Seriously, how many of us worry about possibly shooting out to 150 yards when most of our shots end up being less than 75 yards. I'm all for accuracy, but if I can get magnum pellets to group 1.5"@ 100, that's way good enough to hit out to 150. Will say this, the magnum pellets are less powerful than the 80 gr of 777 that I usually loaded.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Shot 16 rounds tonight sighting in the scope at 75 yards (as far as I can reasonably see the target with that 1X set up we have to use up here), and the fiber optics at 50 yards.

Really annoying to know that if I could use one of my good Burris, Sightron, or Nikon scopes on the T/C, I could easily take deer at 150 yards or more.

Have to admit that those pellets are much easier to load in the cold than powder. Considering the fairly short ranges I'm limited to, maybe I can shoot powder for most stuff and pellets for hunting in the cold...

I can hunt tomorrow evening to fill a doe tag, then our muzzle loader season is over for the year. Going to take the new T/C up one of my bowhunting ladder stands, then come Monday I have all winter to work up a dedicated load and bullet combo...

for hunting pellets

for the range loose powder ..when i go bear hunting i feel more comfortable with pellets [i wonder why]

As a former police officer, we learned repitition ingrained motor functions. Do everything the same way every time and it becomes second-nature. I use pellets (2) for range and hunting. Get consistent 1 to1.25 groups at 100 yds. and am not fumbling around in a stress situation. Just my .02!

2fas2c said:
As a former police officer, we learned repitition ingrained motor functions. Do everything the same way every time and it becomes second-nature. I use pellets (2) for range and hunting. Get consistent 1 to1.25 groups at 100 yds. and am not fumbling around in a stress situation. Just my .02!

exactly why complicate things for nothing ..[ don't over study it]

2fas2c said:

I'm LE with 30 years on the street and a few more left in me, also lead & train a regional High Risk Entry/SWAT team. I know what you mean, but I don't find deer hunting to be particularly stress inducing so fumbling while loading or cycling the action is not an issue.

After all, it's just deer hunting, not rooting some armed barricaded dirtbag out of a lowlife apartment. :D

BP, just to make sure I understand, you do experience point of impact change between equal charges of T7 powder and T7 pellets?

NDTerminator said:
2fas2c said:

I'm LE with 30 years on the street and a few more left in me, also lead & train a regional High Risk Entry/SWAT team. I know what you mean, but I don't find deer hunting to be particularly stress inducing so fumbling while loading or cycling the action is not an issue.

After all, it's just deer hunting, not rooting some armed barricaded dirtbag out of a lowlife apartment. :D

only when the temperature is below frezzing ..seem like the pellets are more accurate

BP, just to make sure I understand, you do experience point of impact change between equal charges of T7 powder and T7 pellets?

A marginal shot on the deer of a lifetime, crawling away and I'm trying to reload with cold fingers AND watch the deer. If you don't find stressful you have nerves of steel. I don't..

My main problem is working 28 and 14 on the offshore boats, by the time I get home the shelves are bare of any kind of granular. I haven't used it 'cause I can't get it. Have an FFL but would have to buy a ton to offset the HAZMAT shipping fees. Oh the pain!!!

Thanks BP. I wondered if the pellets might be more consistent in temp swings.

No offense intended, 2F2C...

black powder said:
NDTerminator said:
2fas2c said:

only when the temperature is below frezzing ..seem like the pellets are more accurate

NDTerminator is "exactly correct" . Two 777 pellets is equal to about 80 grains of 777 loose powder. You should get 2 different points of impact.

100 grains of pellets is not equal to 100 grains of loose powder.

chocdog

Chocdog

No offense taken NDT, just trying to simplify for some. Find as I get older I stress easier I guess :roll: :cry: :lol:

Pellets/powder

I shoot Pyrodex, both loose powder and pellets and find a marginal point of aim difference between the 2, but not enough to adjust the scope. Loose powder loads tend to more accurate in my guns but pellets are far easier to use in the woods.

Latest posts

Back