Pheasant Hunting with a Knight TK2000

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One last question on the Knight TK2000 12 gauge Muzzleloader. Has anyone shot bird shot #5 or #6 lead out the barrel without a choke. If so, what is the pattern like? Also, is it safe to do so as the treads are on the outside of the barrel. Thanks.

I would highly advise not shooting the TK without a choke in place.
Barrel is thin with external threading.

I would highly advise not shooting the TK without a choke in place.
Barrel is thin with external threading.
Yes, that was my worry. I was curious if anyone had done this before. Going to get a modified choke and see what kind of pattern I get with that. Knight used to make an IC choke for that gun but stopped producing them. If anyone knows how to finf one of them, please let me know.

I would start by patterning the gun to determine what choke will perform the best with your particular loads. I doubt you will need or want I/C unless you plan on shooting smaller than #6 for something other than pheasant.

I would start by patterning the gun to determine what choke will perform the best with your particular loads. I doubt you will need or want I/C unless you plan on shooting smaller than #6 for something other than pheasant.
I plan on that. Do you have experience with the TK2000 modified and IC chokes or are you deducting that on general information?

Assumption only as I have no experience with the TK2000. The opinion I offered is solely on chokes. I apologize as I now realize you were asking for help with the TK2000. I have hunted upland game for well over 50 years, primarily pheasant and quail. I do not have a black powder shotgun however I do have extensive experience with .410, .20 and .12ga shotguns, just about all popular makes and models. My experience tells me I would start with the modified and see how that shoots first. I bet you will be happy with that choke. However I could be completely wrong as not all chokes are created equal. I have also discovered barrel length has an affect on pattern. Assuming proper follow through a wide pattern is really not the ideal pattern in my opinion for pheasant.

GP, GBG post #20 and birdog #25 offered some good info. There are more combinations of powder,OP wads,wads, shot and OS wad than Sherwin Williams has in paint samples.
The whole great thing about the TK is it can use regular 12ga wads. And that is without removing a choke. ( such as a modified or full ). Makes it a bit easier to load.
Developing a good repetitive shotgun load is IMHO no difference that working with any other firearm.
Shotguns have more variables though.
In my own case I found Alliant Black MZ powder produced the best repetitive patterns for my turkey loads. I wouldn’t have thought.

It really sounds like a modified choke would be in your best interest.
BPI is a great source for wads.

For pheasant and no turkey?

You need too sell that to a turkey hunter.. they go for good money.

Get one of those nice pedersoli doubles...

Latest posts

Back