Precision Rifle accessories

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kipsbay

Reaction score
I have a new T/C Pro-Hunter on order....I've done a lot of research and wanted to know if anyone has or know anyone that has added either of the Precision Rifle's ".25ACP Breech Plug Conversions" or "Locker-Pin" specifically for the Pro-Hunter......do they work as advertised.....?? Is this money well spent....??
Don't be shy, if there are any other recommendations....I would rather know now while I'm assembling the gun.
Thanks in advance.....JOHN

John,

I cant say either way.

I know many are fond of the .25 ACP conversion but with the advent of the Winchester T-7 primer I would go that route first.

The Locker Pin looks to serve a purpose as well but do you really need it?

My advise would be to shoot the gun and see if you even have a need for those add ons.

I bought the locker pin

To me, it's a minor expense to by the pin and ensure that the hinge pivoting is consistant every time than to waste alot of bullets and powder trying to find out why it does'nt group well. The costs sure do add up when you're trying to get started but this is a worth the money .With the conversion kit ,I would agree that you should likely wait and see. I think that T/C has done enough homework to know that most of the time ,the 209's are going to work perfectly. It's likely a rare occurence when it does not. It's nice to know that Precision has developed this primer option to help out those that need it.
I've always shot precision bullets with amazing results . Now that I have my new Prohunter , I'm looking for advice on what grain wt. bullet /powder combo to use. I have tradtionally used 110 gr of 777 pellets(2 -30's and 1 -50) I was recomended to use the Dead Center 220 gr bullet. I have zeroed at 175 yds but this has the bullet 6"high at 100 and 3" high at 50 yds which is not acceptable to me. I would like to have a flatter tragectory. Do I need to use more powder perhaps? Anyone with experience with these bullets in this gun please let me know. :D

Kipsbay said:
I have a new T/C Pro-Hunter on order....I've done a lot of research and wanted to know if anyone has or know anyone that has added either of the Precision Rifle's ".25ACP Breech Plug Conversions" or "Locker-Pin" specifically for the Pro-Hunter......do they work as advertised.....?? Is this money well spent....??
Don't be shy, if there are any other recommendations....I would rather know now while I'm assembling the gun.
Thanks in advance.....JOHN

An Omega or a Standard Encore the 25 ACP is worth it to keep the breech clean. With a Pro Hunter your guess is as good as mine.

As to the pin I don't know. Some folks find the standard pins fine, others have problems. I'd leave it alone unless you have problems.

25ACP conversion has made my life better

I had break action ML last season and used 209s - got rid of it because the blowback was getting into the action and in the rain I could see the rust running out (Pyrodex). We had a wet season and my friends Encore had the same problem and he could feel 'stickyness' in the action from rust. Now we all use T7 which isn't AS corrosive but after a few shots you can see that it's getting in the firing pin and all over the innards. I just got an Omega with the conversion (check out my target post today) and I will say there is a 100% improvement in cleanliness of the breech area, like almost completely spotless! The other huge plus is that they are a lot easier to handle and fit in those silicone rubber 209 holders just fine. Two of my freinds are converting their Omegas this week they were so impressed. Maybe the new breech plug design in the Prohunter fits better and seals the 209, you'll have to try it but if not the 25ACP is a slick fix.

Good info

I just ordered the new primer holders they sell.. Looks like a 209 primer which accepts small caliber rifle primers..

We'll see how they work

Kyle

I tried the .25ACP breech plug in my Omega .50 and, in the end, was unimpressed and no longer use it.

With standard Win 209's, .430 300 grn XTP's and Harvester sabots w/777 or Pyrodex my Omega will shoot under an inch at 100 yds. It's loved that load since I bought it in '03, I think.

I tried the .25 ACP thing to try and get better accuracy from lighter 240 to 250 grn bullets. I thought maybe the 209's were "too powerful" and overpowering the lighter bullets. The short version--my gun did not shoot any load more accurately with .25ACP cases and small rifle primers, period. Regular 209's were and still are just as accurate in my rifle.

The small rifle primers in 25ACP cases are definitely cleaner than standard 209's, but they are not much cleaner (if any) than the Win 777-209's.

These days I put in an new breech plug each spring and shoot Win 777-209's and hunt with 300 grn XTP's. That's what my rifle likes and the .25ACP did not make any difference and was not worth the money, IMO.

I also went to the 25acp breech plug in my Encore although I did not notice any improvement in accuracy. It all but eliminated the fouling ring ahead of the chamber and may have helped lessen blowback fouling but I also think the 777primers take care of the fouling ring also.

My advise would be to shoot the gun and see if you even have a need for those add ons.

EXACTLY what I would do!

I see very little blow back directly around the primer in my PH. I heavily grease the breech plug and have yet to have any real complaints. I get some blow back around the breech plug rings but it's to be expected. Be sure to keep the grease out of the barrel. My gun shoots under 1" groups at 100 yards. I doubt there is much that could be done to get it much better. Besides, an inch group is completely acceptable for hunting.

If my gun ever starts to shoot poorly I may look into a different pin. Shoot it as is for now, I think you will be pleased. The flame hole will begin to fowl after repeated shots and it will begin to loose the hot ignition of a clean flame passage. A torch tip cleaning wire and a small drill bit solve the problem at the range.

Only mod to my gun is a lighter trigger spring.

Winchester 209 primers
300 grain XTP
MMP 3petal ez sabot
100 grains by volume T7 2F

Back