Projectiles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoSmokeless

Reaction score
I am sure I want to shoot a polymer tipped bullet. Which is the best and most effective.

Where is the least expensive place to purchase ML supplies?

im sorry but i cant help you what is the best and most effective, but i have dealt with midway and natchez shooters supplies and both have pretty good prices

GoSmokeless said:
I am sure I want to shoot a polymer tipped bullet. Which is the best and most effective.

A 40/50 260 Dead Center would be tough to beat at 2000fps. :wink: If you need faster, check out the new ShockWaves or the new Barnes bullet.

The best is what your gun likes... Most effective bullet humm that will get you many opinions here as well...What type of terrain you hunt in and the thickness of cover? Also the distance you will likely shoot will be factors in this request. Do you want a speed demon load at 2400++fps and up or a comfortable shooting load 2000fps to 2100fps? Several here shoot lights out with loads in the 1900fps to 2000fps range. Many of us shoot hundreds and hundreds of round with several in the 1000?s of rounds per year. So give us more info and see what the board can do for ya? Good luck!

I agree with indianahunter. You'll have to find what what your gun likes.
As far as effective, he's right again but I'll add that the opinion that really counts is yours.
What I use is the 250 SST over 43 grains of 4759 witha win primer. My opinion is that that bulllet works very well for me in my rifle and it has the effect that I want and like. You should have a lot of fun experimenting to find something you'll like. Good luck.

GoSmokeless said:
I would look into 250 or 300 grain Hornady SST's or possibly wait for the unveiling of Barnes new Spit-Fire TMZ polymer tipped bullets which are due out soon.

Where is the least expensive place to purchase ML supplies
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

Not the TOUGHEST bullet in muzzleloader land but certainly one of the more accurate is the 250gr SST. In spite of the bullets somewhat fragile construction I still like it because I can put it where I want it! It's a good bullet!

possibly wait for the unveiling of Barnes new Spit-Fire TMZ polymer tipped bullets which are due out soon

I really looking foward to that one as well!

GoSmokeless said:

Where is the least expensive place to purchase ML supplies?

A polymer tipped bullet might not be the best bullet for your specific application tho. To my knowledge, the Savage has been used on critters from groundhogs to moose. 1 bullet would work, but wouldn't be the best for all applications. I taylor the bullet to the intended game. 250 gr. SST for whitetails (although I have yet to shoot the Bonded ShockWaves - if they are as accurate as the 250 gr. SST, then I might switch) 300 gr. Barnes "X" bullet for hogs.

As for suppliers, I use:
My local gunshop/sporting clays range for powder
Natchez for accessories
Ebay for scopes and sometimes rings/mounts
Del Ramsey @ MMP Sabots for (what else) sabots
The local gun show for primers (I buy 5,000 at a time)
The Internet for information
Brownell's for a steel triggerguard

Blue-Dot-37.5

Blue-Dot-37.5 said:
As for suppliers, I use:
My local gunshop/sporting clays range for powder
Natchez for accessories
Ebay for scopes and sometimes rings/mounts
Del Ramsey @ MMP Sabots for (what else) sabots
The local gun show for primers (I buy 5,000 at a time)
The Internet for information
Brownell's for a steel triggerguard

Blue-Dot-37.5

There's a good list! What is # of the triggerguard?

Back in a minute. I gotta place an order with them anyway, so now's a good a time as any!

Blue-Dot-37.5

Randy:

Brownell's stock # 855-000-205 Factory # 103010 Trigger Guard, Metal, Matte (blued) $18.79

I forgot another supplier:
Randy Wakeman for long-life ventliners! Sorry RW! :oops:

Blue-Dot-37.5

Mfr: SAVAGE

FITS: 110/111/112/112BT Top Loading
Catalog page 444

Glad you mentioned it-- from Brownells description, I would have guessed the long action guard was a bit different from the short action guard. :roll:

RW:

Now you have me second guessing myself. I believe that's the one that I ordered from Cat. #58. Which one in this catalog fits the short action?

Blue-Dot-37.5

Blue-Dot-37.5 said:
RW:

Now you have me second guessing myself. I believe that's the one that I ordered from Cat. #58. Which one in this catalog fits the short action?

Blue-Dot-37.5

Scott-- you got it. Same trigger guard for long or short action, I just ordered a few.

Latest posts

Back